Negative battery cables?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyGoneWild

Reaction score
Update: Solved the low alternator output! I had a chance to poke around today. I checked all the connections on the charging system and noticed the Alt terminal had some sort of build up on it. Took it off and scraped it down to bare metal. Looked like some adhesive from the heat shrink had moved down. I now have 14.49 volts steady with headlights and blower on.

I'm still going to replace my ground cables. The one going to the engine I'll leave just trim up the end, maybe crimp on a lug ring.

I've heard the word neverstart used a lot in reference to my battery ha. Maybe a new AGM battery is in order too (Santa?)

Thanks a lot guys for all the feedback! I'll post back with any new updates or changes.

Attachments

• tmp_23529-20161202_134907-647704503.jpg
    tmp_23529-20161202_134907-647704503.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Solved the low alternator output! I had a chance to poke around today. I checked all the connections on the charging system and noticed the Alt terminal had some sort of build up on it. Took it off and scraped it down to bare metal. Looked like some adhesive from the heat shrink had moved down. I now have 14.49 volts steady with headlights and blower on.

I'm still going to replace my ground cables. The one going to the engine I'll leave just trim up the end, maybe crimp on a lug ring.

I've heard the word neverstart used a lot in reference to my battery ha. Maybe a new AGM battery is in order too (Santa?)

Thanks a lot guys for all the feedback! I'll post back with any new updates or changes.

That would do it.. there's your voltage drop. AGM batteries are great, expensive, but great. Overkill for most applications like ours, however. Get one if you want, or have need, but I wouldn't get one just to have one. Also remember that AGM batteries are not gel-cell batteries, common misconception.

JohnnyGoneWild

Reaction score
I am planning on adding a upgraded sound system. Nothing ridiculous. Maybe even some lights.

I've heard AGMs are better at delivering more consistent voltage across the entire car. Especially under heavy loads?

I guess its overkill now, but I'm looking at a Bosch AGM and Duracell AGM both are on sale for around $150. Im aware of the big battery companies making everything (Johnson controls, East penn) but for me its price vs warranty. 4 year free replacement isn't bad..

I'm not familiar with gel cell batteries. Would Optima be considered gel cell?

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima is now junk, they use recycled lead and do not last. I had a optima then switch to a diehard platinum, which is really a odyssey battery.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to be pushing your alternator harder than the battery... AGM will handle deep discharges better than a traditional lead plate battery... but if you end up deep discharging your battery, that means you've already killed your alternator.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best and worst batteries can be in the same brand. What was once a good battery may be junk when you replace it with same.

After research for my truck, I went with a Diehard AGM battery in my truck this fall $185 online price honored in store.

My KJ still has 3 yrs on its Napa battery and doing well even with a drain issue we think is in the radio speakers.

As other indicated read only newest ratings. example is the Optima batteries which were rated highly but in recent years manufacturing was switched to china where reliability took a dump.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best and worst batteries can be in the same brand. What was once a good battery may be junk when you replace it with same.

After research for my truck, I went with a Diehard AGM battery in my truck this fall $185 online price honored in store.

My KJ still has 3 yrs on its Napa battery and doing well even with a drain issue we think is in the radio speakers.

As other indicated read only newest ratings. example is the Optima batteries which were rated highly but in recent years manufacturing was switched to china where reliability took a dump.

Optima moved production to Mexico,not china.

Oh and if I remember correctly the battery you bought is made at the same plant as optima's.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There are only a handful of AGM producers.
The Bosh AGM (blue Case) is actually an Exide - Edge.
58192[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

and The Duracell looks to be an East-Penn- Dekka
For the price I would go Exide (blue case) good reviews.
I had one in the Jeep under the CanTire Motomaster ultra lablel and it tested new on Midtroncis load tester at 979 CCA.
58194[/ATTACH]"]

The very best Odyssey (EnerSys) AGM are virgin lead and twice the price.
I've got the almost 5 year Old Odyssey back in the Jeep after a good re-charging.
58196[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Exide%20Edge.jpg
    Exide%20Edge.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only a handful of AGM producers.
The Bosh AGM (blue Case) is actually an Exide - Edge.
58358[/ATTACH]"]

and The Duracell looks to be an East-Penn- Dekka
For the price I would go Exide (blue case) good reviews.
I had one in the Jeep under the CanTire Motomaster ultra lablel and it tested new on Midtroncis load tester at 979 CCA.
58360[/ATTACH]"]

The very best Odyssey (EnerSys) AGM are virgin lead and twice the price.
I've got the almost 5 year Old Odyssey back in the Jeep after a good re-charging.
58362[/ATTACH]"]

I have been looking for an AGM for my '02. Issue is I haven't seen any local that carry a type 86 battery which mine calls for. Napa, Autozone, et all don't even carry AGM in stock. Lots of discontinued models too. I wonder if something happened to a plant? Sure I can find an Odessey on Amazon but who can claim warranty? Who carries Excide AGM's? I think Pepboys carry Bosh but they didn't show any inventory locally for AGM.

Attachments

• Exide%20Edge.jpg
    Exide%20Edge.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    Midtronics%20Load%20Test%20CT%20AGM.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    Jeep%20Odyssey%20Night%202.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for an AGM for my '02. Issue is I haven't seen any local that carry a type 86 battery which mine calls for. Napa, Autozone, et all don't even carry AGM in stock. Lots of discontinued models too. I wonder if something happened to a plant? Sure I can find an Odessey on Amazon but who can claim warranty? Who carries Excide AGM's? I think Pepboys carry Bosh but they didn't show any inventory locally for AGM.

Pep boys does have Bosch AGM but limited sizes. I got one for our Toyota Sienna around a year ago but they didn't have the group size for the KJ. I also could not find the right size AGM for the KJ anywhere else.

BTW I really like the Bosch.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can get Odyssey warrantied at batteries plus stores with proper receipts.

But I doubt you'd need to worry about the warranty,I'll have to remember to bring home and post the battery test I just ran on my old PC1500DT that I retired from my KJ about a year ago.Been at work and using it to run my smoke machine and haven't charged it.At 114 months old(07/07) it still was putting out 700+ cca's(rated at 825) without being charged for a year and almost daily drain from a smoke machine.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima moved production to Mexico,not china.

Oh and if I remember correctly the battery you bought is made at the same plant as optima's.

Ya I meant Mexico. Regarding manufacturer. I believe my Diehard is made by Odessey. The case top matches exactly with the ones pictures.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get Odyssey warrantied at batteries plus stores with proper receipts.

But I doubt you'd need to worry about the warranty,I'll have to remember to bring home and post the battery test I just ran on my old PC1500DT that I retired from my KJ about a year ago.Been at work and using it to run my smoke machine and haven't charged it.At 114 months old(07/07) it still was putting out 700+ cca's(rated at 825) without being charged for a year and almost daily drain from a smoke machine.

Not paying $250+ for a battery. The Excide FP-AGM24F looked like it would work but terminals are opposite what the liberty needs (need neg on inside/positive closest to fender.

Have yet to hear anyone have a battery to fit Liberty except for your 1500DT

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Odyssey PC-1500 dual terminal that is now back in Jeep is a group 34/78.
The blue Exide Edge AGM is a group 34 & also gets turned around to fit perfectly.
58364[/ATTACH]"]

Did the 02's have a smaller battery tray, that can not accept a 34 without trimming?

Attachments

• AGM%20Jeep%20Batteries.jpg
    AGM%20Jeep%20Batteries.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

justjeeps

Reaction score
Hello all! First time posting on here..

I discovered a bad ground connection between the engine and chassis. Also the negative cables coming off the battery terminal are very coroded. I figured I would replace the negative to chassis, negative to engine block, and engine to chassis cables. Trouble is I can't find where the negative cable attaches to the engine. Do I get to it above or underneath? I tried following the negative cable down but it gets lost in a web of wires.

Also, anyone who has replaced all the cables have any advice?

Thanks a lot!

my 02 has a double nutted stud with a small hex head on the end.. I brake the connector off before I realized and a 10 min job turned into two days trying to solider a short extension back on. Mind you I went to the depot and secured a regular bolt...and installed my new connector.