need to improve mpg!!! i average 13.8 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You can't find any gas stations around here without ethanol though. I've searched. :disgust:

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because the government has imposed regulations requiring that gas have at least 10% ethanol in it, 95% of corn is GMO owned, you get the picture lol

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, should have read *can't*... thoughts are faster than my fingers. :pp:

Out west (think Rocky Mountain states) fuel can be had without the ethanol... and I get great mileage out there!

hendrix360

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post. I have an '04 with 80K miles, just bought it 3 months ago. I keep the RPM's under 2K, new spark plugs, Purple Oil, new Trans fluid, 30 tire pressure, and Im getting 10 MPG. Im shocked and disappointed any suggestions?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post. I have an '04 with 80K miles, just bought it 3 months ago. I keep the RPM's under 2K, new spark plugs, Purple Oil, new Trans fluid, 30 tire pressure, and Im getting 10 MPG. Im shocked and disappointed any suggestions?

How's the differential fluid? If it's old and sludged up and dragging down the axle, that won't help.. maybe you have a stuck brake caliper... is your air filter filled with squirrel nest material? I'd be doing a compression test on the cylinders as well.

Also, 30psi tire pressure is too low. I run my 245-70R-16 AT's at 34psi.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

First what kind of plugs if any thing but good old NGK coppers ( or Champions ) that could be one reason
Under 2000RPM, sounds like you are dogging it down , do you have the OD off ?
My 04 with 32 inch tall tires, 4.10 gears 4.5 inches of lift, aftermarket front and rear bumper got better then your pulling 3-3500 lb in a 6 X 10 enclosed trailer !!
On highway I got over 21-22 easy at 75 plus, and never was under 2000 RPM. Mine hits the rev limiter at least once a day
I'd start checking diffs, transfer case , type of spark plugs, if any calipers are hanging up etc

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because the government has imposed regulations requiring that gas have at least 10% ethanol in it, 95% of corn is GMO owned, you get the picture lol

If anyone is looking for ethanol free gas, this site has listings for almost anywhere showing what stations and what types of fuel to look for.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Albany NY is showing me this as one possible place.

Stewarts Shops #231 - STEWART'S SHOPS
875 New Scotland Ave, Albany NY
518-482-9787
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 42.65492 W 73.81757 (located from address)

I use ONLY ethanol free gas for all my small engines (chainsaw, lawnmower, generators, hedge trimmers, etc.) Anything that might sit a while, you don't want gumming up your carburetors. Since using only E0 gas, I'm had immediate startups every time with no sludge.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't find any gas stations around here without ethanol though. I've searched. :disgust:

I don't know the area, but maybe have a look at the line I shared above. I don't see anything in your home town, this one in Kirkland is about 45 minutes away from you it seems. Might be too far off still, I didn't check all the towns, you might find something even closer.

Kirkland Quick Stop - MARATHON
411 Main St, Kirkland IL
815-522-3510
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 90
GPS coordinates: N 42.09280 W 88.84858

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the stations here have ethanol free 91 octane but the KJ doesn't like premium according to the manual.

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the stations here have ethanol free 91 octane but the KJ doesn't like premium according to the manual.

I only use it for my small engines, I use Ethanol regular for the Jeep. Every link shows the octane and which are Ethanol or not. You have to find one locally that both meets your required octane level and is Ethanol free if that is what you want.

For me, I go through a tank so quickly that having Ethanol or not is not a big deal.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Yeah, I just use the 87 octane that has ethanol in it for the KJ as recommended in the owners manual also. There are several places that have 91 octane 100% gas and I use that in the mower and snoblower, etc. It's like a buck and a half more per gallon.

Dave

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score

30 psi? Seriously? The sticker calls for 35 psi and I run 38-40 psi. Better feel, better mileage.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In bold will reduce your mpg's in a KJ.

Plus a 13 year old vehicle with only 80k is worse then a 5 year old vehicle with 200k miles.bet the inside of the intake looks nasty and those injectors are not spraying very good.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Yeah, I just use the 87 octane that has ethanol in it for the KJ as recommended in the owners manual also. There are several places that have 91 octane 100% gas and I use that in the mower and snoblower, etc. It's like a buck and a half more per gallon.

Dave

Wish the gas for my small engine's was only $1.50 more then regular gas,I have to pay $7.50 per gallon for my gas RC but yes it is VP 110 leaded race gas.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In bold will reduce your mpg's in a KJ.

Plus a 13 year old vehicle with only 80k is worse then a 5 year old vehicle with 200k miles.bet the inside of the intake looks nasty and those injectors are not spraying very good.

Yep, gotta get those revs up and moving on down the road