Need tech explanation please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, even if I've read anything about lbj issue, I havn't understood the real issue.

Is it a problem dealing only with the project or is it an issue bounded to a poor ball joint quality?
There are lots of vechles (Off Road and not OR) with the same type of front suspension geometry (lbj socket on the wheel) but they don't suffer the problems Lib suffers... is anyone who has had the recall done in the right way (I mean being sure to have received the new lbj with the blue ring on the boot) experiencing again the problem?

Even if I'm not an engeneer, it looks somewhat unbelievebale to me that a thin metal plate could shield the boot from the disk heat...it looks to me just a marketing answer from someone who didn't know what to do and decided to add "something" just not to stay "hands in hands".

Is anyone with a MY 2007 produced from january 2007 having problems with the lbj?
I have ordered a 2.8 CRD limited that is right know still in the factory and everybody from Chrysler-Jeep swears that the issue has been solved with a new type of joints.
My I feel safe?...I am afraid I have choosen a "giant with clay feet".
Thanks to all
Rob

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
We'll see. It's obvious the FIRST BJ recall was useless. The second time around, we really DID get a new ball joint... but will that fix the problem? Like I said, we'll see. Nice engine. ;) I have one too. :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is true that the little metal plate will not do much to protect the joints from heat. I dont understand why they didnt put the shield all the way around the rotor like every other vehicle in the world has. I understand the liberty is made for offroad, but Ive never had issues with rocks getting stuck behind the plate and the rotor on other Jeeps.

Ive yet to hear of anyone having issues with the new set of joints. I do not believe its been long enough to tell though. My drivers side had plate after 20k miles and I do not think many people have over that on the new sets yet.

You can feel safe till we start hearing about the new joints failing.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel safe now! But, I just installed the K3199s today! BTW, I still don't know how some of you guys can do a job like that in 3 hours. The first lift took about 15 hours; 9 to take it off, put on Rusty's and change out the upper arms; and almost 7 today to change out the LBJs and LCAs. I finally got everything fixed, though! icon996.gif Ordered my Step Skinks this morning, too! :D As soon as I get the tires in and on, I'll have pics, I promise!

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
omg 3 hours
i am a jeep tech and for warranty or recall we only get 1 hour for them

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, new Jeep friends... I will soon become a Jeepster as soon as I receive my dreamed Cherokee - Liberty since I drove around in the italian Alps on a friend's of mine Willys.
Might be that BMW or Mercedes could be more sofisticated, but Jeep is a myth (at least for me) and I won't let a lbj spoil my dream.
Long life to the KJ (even if the new Wrangler is really cute too).
Thanks