Need some wiring & diagnostics help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable members here can help me out. Long story short I had an issue over the summer with a 190mA parasitic draw, which left me with an ABS light on the dash. The odd part is my 03 limited doesn't have ABS. I figured out the issue causing the draw but never could get the ABS light to go out. The ABS light came on after I swapped to a different double din, the orange dimmer wire in the radio harness got nicked and grounded against my head unit. My instrument cluster lights went out and after blowing a couple fuses I found the issue and corrected it, but the ABS light has been on ever since.

We got a new scanner at work (autel maxisys), so for s&g I hooked it up to my rig to get familiar with it. I'm showing a fault for the vss, an abs module not found fault (my rig doesn't have ABS, and a fault for the instrument cluster. Other than the ABS light being on, my rig is acting perfectly normal. I'm wondering if the ABS and vss codes could be caused by a bad instrument panel, which was possibly damaged when the dimmer wire grounded out. I wanted to get some input before I start tossing parts at it in hopes of getting lucky. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya somethings fubar!
An Antilock Brake System (ABS) indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters.
However, the instrument cluster is programmed to automatically enable this indicator only on vehicles equipped with the optional antilock brake system.
Have you had the chance to read the FSM regarding the EMIC data bus & diagnostics?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya somethings fubar!
An Antilock Brake System (ABS) indicator is standard equipment on all instrument clusters.
However, the instrument cluster is programmed to automatically enable this indicator only on vehicles equipped with the optional antilock brake system.
Have you had the chance to read the FSM regarding the EMIC data bus & diagnostics?
Yes, but it doesn't really go into much detail other than the ABS module sends a signal to the cluster to illuminate the indicator. I can get a used cluster through work for about 40 bucks so I may try it. This damn abs light is driving me crazy!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya that would piss me off to !
Wonder if you could track down the signal ABS wire somehow and get it off that way?

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that would piss me off to !
Wonder if you could track down the signal ABS wire somehow and get it off that way?
It doesn't have ABS, so there is no module to tell the cluster to illuminate or not illuminate the light. Makes me think something in my cluster is jacked and keeping the light on. I guess I'll replace it and see what happens, I like the cluster gauges with the black trim ring better anyways, so if anything it'll be a visual upgrade.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes me think something in my cluster is jacked and keeping the light on. I guess I'll replace it and see what happens, I like the cluster gauges with the black trim ring better anyways, so if anything it'll be a visual upgrade.

I can barely change a light bulb without a Youtube vid :gr_grin: but I'd say the cluster replacement option sounds like the easiest and cheapest route for 40 bucks. Something got fried in the old one.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got my new cluster in yesterday, set me back a whopping $28. I hope to install it this afternoon, depends on how long it takes me to finish a heater core in an 06 ram(not fun btw)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.