Need some Differential oil guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was reading through the old posts on differential oils, and saw a lot of different opinions so still looking for a little advice, I have an 07 4wd automatic with 150,000km (93,000miles), I don't normally pull a trailer but often have the jeep pretty loaded up, and been doing a lot of driving up and down hills not sure if that makes any difference. I bought some quaker state full synthetic 75W-140 GL-5, looks like it already has the additives in it. So just wondering if I can use this in both the front and the rear or if I should be looking at something else altogether.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in the Owner's Manual it states to use 75W-90 in the front diff. That being said, I ran 85W-140 synth blend stuff for 30K miles (2 fluid changes) in the front with no issues. I run 75W-90 front and rear now, but that is because I'm a tool and don't wheel anymore.

Reaction score
I haven't gotten mine out too much yet only had it for about 10,000 miles, been slowly catching up on what seems to be a total lack of maintenance from the previous owner, from the look i'm not sure if the diffs have ever had the oil changed, i noticed it still had the original spark plugs when i swapped them out. just want to make sure i'm not going to do anything damaging as i work on it. Also was looking at what is the best way to drain the oil heard both siphoning out and opening the case as preferred options, and finally anything i should do before changing it like take it out for a long drive to get things warmed up?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only one way to change the front, and definitely take the cover off of the rear. Trying to siphon it out would be a pain in the ass. Plus you wouldn't be able to check the little magnet in the bottom of the housing for metal shavings and what not.

Just a tip, buy a pump to pump the gear oil into the diffs. Trying to do it without the pump was not fun.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the call for the differential oil changes? I was going to do mine tomorrow at 90k miles but aldata states to do it around 120k miles I believe. It actually states that it is not necessary. I got the jeep 10k ago and haven't done any 4 wheelin :-( and very little pulling with it. I don't know the previous records so I will do the smart thing and assume that it had not been done. Should I do it now? Wait till next spring? Wait till the 120k?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the call for the differential oil changes? I was going to do mine tomorrow at 90k miles but aldata states to do it around 120k miles I believe. It actually states that it is not necessary. I got the jeep 10k ago and haven't done any 4 wheelin :-( and very little pulling with it. I don't know the previous records so I will do the smart thing and assume that it had not been done. Should I do it now? Wait till next spring? Wait till the 120k?
Diff fluid is every 12,000-15,000 miles for both front and rear diffs if using synthetic gear oil.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with standard dino oil (such as Coastal, Lucas or other equivalent standard gear oil.)

Use 80w-90 for normal driving, 85w-140 for towing/off-road in both front and rear diffs.

Here's a link to another discussion on here about synthetic vs. standard dino oil. For my money there's no use spending the extra for synthetic - and yes, changing the diffs every 12-15,000 miles is a good idea. It's an easy job (with the oil pump as mentioned above - cheap at your local auto parts store) and will keep things humming... :emotions33:

Bob

Reaction score
ok thanks for all the info I think i'll be taking back the synthetic and getting some dino this week, it was $70 for the synthetic here and less than half for the standard, with that savings i can upgrade to synthetic motor oil for my next change