Need Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from picking up a set of 5 MOAB rims from PA but need some opinions on tire size.

I currently have 245/70/17
3.73 gears

Should I move to 245/75/16 (I know same size I have now) or go to a 265/75/16. I live in VA which has hilly terrain.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Running 245/75R16 myself,believe 4.10 ratio would be a plus if tire was larger.There are several people running larger tires with 3.73,they seem to be happy.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you clear 32" tires? I would probably go with the 265/75/16's if clearance isn't a problem. I would imagine the wider tire being a bit better for the wider Moab rims. Can air down more effectively without worrying about popping a bead. Can't lose either way really.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threadjacked.gif

Take it easy and no one will get hurt.

jeh200284,
I too have the 17" rim option, and a new OME lift as well. I need to replace the 235/65-17 Open Country's I wore out, and was looking at the REVO-IIs.

The 245/70-17 doesn't seem to be that much bigger than what I currently have. How well did they fill the wheel well? Mine look a little small, but then ALL the tread is gone? Did you like the REVO-IIs?

PM Me if you don't want to distract from the topic.

Ok everybody, you can have the thread back - let's get jeh200284 some help!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything bigger than a 245/75 will be to big for 3.73's
with the 42rle ,I had the 45rfe and thought that first gear could be a little lower

Now I am an M/T's or get off the trails guy so as to which tires you should buy
I will not answer

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/75/16 maxxis bighorns with 3.73s and average 13.2 mpg in south florida.. If you wish to live the mileage life I live then so be it.. as soon as they wear down I'm going 30" or 31" but much wider. cant wait to see at least 16 or 17 again on avg mpg

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In hills of any type you will want 4.10s if going to 265-75s trust me! Or you could run with the OD off all of the time:rolleyes:

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Might consider 265/70/16... They are a bit wider but no taller than the average 245/75/r16.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/75/16 maxxis bighorns with 3.73s and average 13.2 mpg in south florida.. If you wish to live the mileage life I live then so be it.. as soon as they wear down I'm going 30" or 31" but much wider. cant wait to see at least 16 or 17 again on avg mpg

just to pour salt in this wound
I have an '09 F250 with the 5.4 gas engine
it weighs over 8500# with no gas in the tank
I average 13+ mixed and can get 16+ highway @65mph ,thanks to some new
quality tires not the OE junk
I would have it regeared if you plan to keep it
we were going to do 4.10's on the KJ before we sold it

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/75/16 maxxis bighorns with 3.73s and average 13.2 mpg in south florida..

just to pour salt in this wound

Hey, I'll join in on this. I've got some 31x10.5 knobblies and some 265/75R16s that I swap back and forth for wheeling and stuff. With the knobblies, I ran 330kms today and used 43L of gas, works out to 18 mpg. Lots of hilly terrain too. I've been from Lauderdale thru Miami and Homestead to Key West. Don't recall too many hills.

As for the 4.10s, gotta get the fronts direct from Dana/Spicer for the KJs D30A. I was looking into some recently and until I hear back from the Dana/Spicer wholesaler in Edmonton the project is on the back burner.

colinmacdon

Reaction score
With that size of tire you are still getting 18 mpg US (that's like almost 22 mpg imperial)? I wish....I have stock tires and can barely get that much. I can't get past 350 KM on a full tank </thread jack>

Hey, I'll join in on this. I've got some 31x10.5 knobblies and some 265/75R16s that I swap back and forth for wheeling and stuff. With the knobblies, I ran 330kms today and used 43L of gas, works out to 18 mpg. Lots of hilly terrain too. I've been from Lauderdale thru Miami and Homestead to Key West. Don't recall too many hills.

As for the 4.10s, gotta get the fronts direct from Dana/Spicer for the KJs D30A. I was looking into some recently and until I hear back from the Dana/Spicer wholesaler in Edmonton the project is on the back burner.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that size of tire you are still getting 18 mpg US (that's like almost 22 mpg imperial)? I wish....I have stock tires and can barely get that much. I can't get past 350 KM on a full tank </thread jack>

Is your KJ in a good state? Might need plugs and stuff. I just replaced my Inlet Air Charge Temp sensor (broke the old one) and saw a slight increase in MPGs. All I've got for mods is the MBRP cat back, a K&N FIPK underhood air intake (I won't call it a cold air kit)and the Jet Perf stage 1 chip. My KJ is somewhat heavier than stock too, Have an ARB w/winch, all the skids and my kit in the back.

I don't drive conservatively either.

colinmacdon

Reaction score
It runs like a top. It had plugs done about 30,000 KM ago. I have a amsoil air filter, and I've kept up with all the maintenance (changed ****** and diff fluids, etc). I have all the skids too. I guess I'm just unlucky :)

Is your KJ in a good state? Might need plugs and stuff. I just replaced my Inlet Air Charge Temp sensor (broke the old one) and saw a slight increase in MPGs. All I've got for mods is the MBRP cat back, a K&N FIPK underhood air intake (I won't call it a cold air kit)and the Jet Perf stage 1 chip. My KJ is somewhat heavier than stock too, Have an ARB w/winch, all the skids and my kit in the back.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score

damn maybe I need to get some maintenance done. it seems that 13mpg is kinda low. =[