Need help identifying stange sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grip Grip

Reaction score
I just recently bought an '05 Liberty 4WD for my daughter that's about to turn 15. Today I changed the oil and spark plugs, and next is this annoying squeaking sound.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Appears to be something fishy with the rear tire too, but I'll check that out in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRvEoyioko0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
:Whoa: Birds have nested around the passenger rear tire & complain when you start moving! :shakehead: :gr_grin:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just pull that wheel and have a look. Sounds like the tire is rubbing on something but could be brakes too.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
:Whoa: Birds have nested around the passenger rear tire & complain when you start moving! :shakehead: :gr_grin:

Squirrel cage bearings gone bad.

Might also check U-joints. I've heard them sound like that. Otherwise, brakes or wheel bearings?

Geof3

Reaction score
I'd bet money it's brake pads. Prob the E-brake. Try driving the truck backwards slowly while slightly engaging the e-brake and see if it solves it. My e-brake was making all sorts of weird noises until I did this. Driving backwards causes a bit of a re-seat of the pads and in a sense, adjusts them. If it doesn't change anything, might need to dig deeper and look at the U-joints. Just had mine done, not too big of a deal.

Grip Grip

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately I was too busy cleaning the Liberty today to get around to investigating the sound, but I'll report back once I get to it. My plan is to put the back of the Jeep on jack stands and put it in drive so I can get under there an pinpoint the noise. My money is on the U-Joint. I did briefly check for wildlife, but none was present. :)

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Look forward to hear what's squeaking or chirping...
BTW in the forums we would prefer that you not call your Jeep or KJ a car, it's an insult! :icon_razz:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is an e-brake pad separated from the shoe and is sitting inside the "hat" and rubbing. Mine made all kinds of weird noises when it happened - I thought the rear axle was on it's way out...

Bob

Last edited:

Grip Grip

Reaction score
Update:

Here's a new video identifying the culprit. Sounds like it's the u-joint or rear differential to me. You can see that the squeaking is timed perfectly with the driveshaft. Now how do I fix it? Change out the U-joint?

By the way, the noise stops on deceleration or medium to heavy throttle.

https://youtu.be/BCndjGqAabs

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
U joints. Had that exact noise. The parking brake shoes would be more a ticking noise.

Andyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like u-joint to me. Mine is making the exact same noise. Got under there and sure enough they are visibly shot. Going to replace them this weekend.

Grip Grip

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm pulling the rear driveshaft today if I can figure it out. I removed the bolts from the differential, and have that portion separated, but the other end of the driveshaft is puzzling. I was under the impression that it was a spline and should pull right out, but it's not budging.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm pulling the rear driveshaft today if I can figure it out. I removed the bolts from the differential, and have that portion separated, but the other end of the driveshaft is puzzling. I was under the impression that it was a spline and should pull right out, but it's not budging.

Cut the metal strap at the front on the boot and give a good quick jerk. Pull it with " feeling" It will come out

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...what is that rubber roller/bracket assy that's attached to the top of the differential for?

Members online

No members online now.