Need help identifying ball bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am in the middle of changing the driver side cv axle and I find a ball bearing laying on the ground that I have no idea where it came from. I have changed the axle shaft seal and lower ball joint, I have removed the normal items to include: cv axle, brake caliper, etc. I can't figure where it came from. Could it have fallen out of the AutoZone ball joint press? Need any help I can get, wife delivered new baby 3 weeks early so I have to get this back together, thanks.
Picture:

Attachments

• P_20151128_192202.jpg
    P_20151128_192202.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 33

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand press? My SnapOn has a bearing inside the Acme threaded shaft to allow it to press the tooling more freely.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Box say OEM tools. Bearing is 1/2".

I am wracking my brains as I didn't open the boots on the cv axle assembly and the only two new things I introduced yesterday were the ball joint press and removing the brake calipers. Can someone confirm there are no ball joints in caliper system? I don't see anything in the service manual and I have never seen that before?

My knowledge base on this stuff is low as I am relying on manual, internet and stuff my dad taught me 30 years ago.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the press, or already returned it? I'd bet it's the source of the bearing.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the help I am leaning towards ball joint press as well. I just went outside and the ball bearing drops right into the shaft with no issue. I will verify when I take back to the store.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ALWAYS have extra nuts, bolts, screws or whatever when I'm done working on something. Be it a car or a washing machine. Save em and figure it out later!

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to close this one out. Definitely came from press. After closer dissection the press end has a concave end to sit on the ball bearing.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in, greatly appreciate the help.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out, and good luck with the new baby! :)

Latest posts

Members online