Need help choosing between Winch or Armor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to do like a poll thing on here. I am wanting to get some help on choosing here.

So I was waiting for my check today so I could order my armor from JBA. I have no armor underneath right now so I know this is important. Luckily I haven't really wheeled anything serious to cause damage.

Well now I also have a chance to pick up a brand new unopened Warn Zeon 10-s winch for $700. Basically the same cost of my armor. a shop about 40 miles from me is going out of business and has to unload what he has as fast as possible. He told me he would hold it until I made a decision and give me such a deal since he knows my family out there.

Now I know the armor is more important than a winch. If I am somewhere where I would need the winch I best have some armor on. So normally it would be an easy decision and the armor would trump a winch purchase.

The only thing making it so hard is the price I can have the winch for. It's practically a steal for only $700 and would go well with my new RL bumper.

I figured I'd get the opinions of you here and let you guys weigh on on helping me make a decision. On one hand the armor is a must but on the other the winch is a great price that I won't be coming across again probably.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah for that price, I'd say get the winch first, but still don't do any major wheeling until you get the armor.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you know your gonna be doing some major wheelin this summer I would go with armor, someone can always pull you out if you get stuck and I would rather be protected underneath. However if you think you won't get into anything crazy soon I would go with the winch as that seems like a VERY good price. Then I would keep my eyes peeled throughout the summer for some good used armor and go that route! Let us know what way you go!

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to go with the armor. The winch would be sweet and is cheap but a winch doesn't really do much on a Jeep that is stuck sitting in the garage becasue I bashed something on a rock with no protection. I do plan on hitting up the Kansas Rocks park as soon as my bumper (and armor) arrive. So hopefully in the next month.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the armor is the best choice. If I were in the same position I would be in just as much of a quandary, though. No one ever walks up to their Jeep and says "Gee, what cool armor!" The winch is right out there for you to see. Besides, using your new winch to pull yourself out of a ditch so you can get towed to the dealer for a new transmission or something will not be much consolation if you really tear something up.

I also am hesitant to take any "gotta buy it now" type of deal. It might be a great opportunity, but most of the decisions I've come to regret in my life were of the "have to act fast" variety. There will always be another deal someday.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Good choice .... the real difficulty in this decision is that the winch would look just freekin' awesome, while the skids will sit anonymously underneath. :D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Oh come on Prof ... :happy175:

Your post was not there when I started mine .. how'd you do that?

<grumbles>... makin me look like an idiot ...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh come on Prof ... :happy175:

Your post was not there when I started mine .. how'd you do that?

<grumbles>... makin me look like an idiot ...

Revenge! At last - I have my revenge! :pokeowned:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to go with the armor. The winch would be sweet and is cheap but a winch doesn't really do much on a Jeep that is stuck sitting in the garage becasue I bashed something on a rock with no protection. I do plan on hitting up the Kansas Rocks park as soon as my bumper (and armor) arrive. So hopefully in the next month.
Yeah good choice going for the armor 1st.Anyways you can pick up a Warn M8000 which is a very good winch for less then $600 anyday and if you watch the sales you can even pick on up for less then $500.