Need fast answer-- how to leave the radio on with out draining battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3170-if-youve-got-sears-auto-buy-die-hard-if-your-canada-you-buy-if-your-sick-tired-plugging.jpg

300 and tax in Canada. They are sealed so shipping is allowed through the mail. Loads of places that offer reasonable price on shipping if you don't have a retailer near by.

yeah now i think about it where can i get one? local would be great but i guess if need to be i can have it shipped:disgust:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the opposite experience here, i run Optima's, i got one thats seven years old now and it still holds up like new on a load test. I have a couple that are only 2-3 years old and so far no problems there either.

One of my Red Tops replaced an ailing DieHarder battery, around here we call them DieHarder, cause when they die its usually at the absolute worst time ever, usually at a -20 below morning when your freezing your **** off with -30 or worse wind chills and just want it to start to warm you up. Hence it DiesHarder cause it makes it ******* you. LOL

I know one guy that had an Odyssey battery, it did great for about two years, then i asked him why he always had a jumpstart box in the front seat plugged into the cig lighter on his way to work, he said just charging his backup while driving... I was like what? He said he would jump it to get going, then charge the jumpstart box on the way to work, then unplug that, then when he got done with work he would jump it again! They did replace it under warranty, but he only got about a year out of the next one and finally gave up on them. Maybe you guys get better quality DieHard or Odyssey bat's but here we don't trust em farther then we can toss them, and they are darn heavy!!

The other battery i have had my run ins with is Interstate... Most of the darn stores where i live have nothing but cheap Durastart and Interstate batteries. I had to drive sixty miles to get an Optima for my last vehicle. That was three years ago and i pulled it when i sold that car and got the wife a new one, i took the cheap battery from the new car and tossed it in the one we sold and put the three year old Optima in the new car, still going strong, and she tends to leave stuff on and drain the battery at least once a month cause she doesn't always drive to work every day. Its amazing how dead a battery can get after a weekend of having a MP3 charger pulling off it. I measured one and its like 125mA, so its takes a long time but it will bring it low enough after a four day memorial weekend to make it turn over really slow when she got back to it, but the Optima did start it up fine, i tossed a small smart maintainer on it after work to bring it back up overnight, good to go until she drains it again!! LOL

There will always be those that want to be fans of Optima's. Hey they can be purchased reasonably (less $ than an Odyssey) you get less reserve & amps, and you hope they can hold a good drain for some time. For that "Guy" that supposedly had a failing Odyssey, they come with a 48 month free replacement anytime, so he should have got one for free (if it was really failing a load test) how was his charging system?

Facts: The Odyssey is the most powerful battery made!
ODYSSEY Batteries - Automotive Specifications
In the PC1500 (34-78 group) the short circuit is 3100 AMPS!
You can crank on it for 5 seconds at a whopping 1500 AMPS !
Absorb Glass Mat Technology (AGM) fully sealed, No Venting (no corrosion to terminals) and for off road, an excellent strong case that is vibration resistant.
You get what you pay for!
Read: ODYSSEY Batteries - Automotive Benefits

As previously mentioned Sears Platinum P1 AGM is made by EnerSys the company that makes the Odyssey. It would be a good choice as well, though I do not have the spec sheet on it to compare to the real Odyssey.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my thoughts on batteries.

I bought a NAPA Premium 84 800CCA battery after my OEM Mopar battery crapped the bed at about 5 years old. This is a step up from the 600CCA Mopar battery. (around $100.)

My usage is almost all highway for everyday driving and I do not have off-road lights or run the battery a lot with the engine not running.

The Optima would probably be ok as a step up from the lead-acid type battery but also at an increased price.

The best would be the Odyssey and like the one Troy and TC are talking about or the Sears Platinum battery.

But also at 3x the price of the lead acid battery I bought.....but 3x better. So I could get 3 lead acid batteries for the cost of one good Odyssey. That said if my usage was more severe (off-road lights, etc) I would have at least got the Sears Platinum AGM or the Odyssey.

This forum is good because it gives members information on all batteries from usage and personal experience of members.

So what it boils down to is which battery is best for you individually depending on your own usage ....(Your Usage May Vary)....with lead acid batteries at the bottom of the spectrum and the Odyssey at the top.

Just some battery thoughts.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Said Dave.
I have some thoughts too.
Really the KJ does not have the greatest demand for CCA (V-6) unless you do have a winch / lights/killer stereo etc. In which case an 800CCA lead acid battery will work....However keep in mind lead acid batteries can & will sometimes suffer from catastrophic failures, without notice. (dead cell) inside shorts etc. Lead acid batteries vent & may eventually create corrosion to battery wire/terminals.
What really concerns me is those that wish to use the Jeep in 4x4 off road situations with lead acid batteries. The casings can crack and they are not made for the poundings & shock/ vibrations that are often experienced off road.
If it does crack, your battery's acid is everywhere & battery is dead, and we all know how the Jeep performs without a good battery...you're in trouble.
Rubber mounting with bottom /side pads may help there.
I agree about the good /better/ best....
No Catastrophic failures with the best....excellent construction & simply worth the $.
43765[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• OdysseyBatteryInfo.jpg
    OdysseyBatteryInfo.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 0