Need fast answer-- how to leave the radio on with out draining battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELLO again every one!!!!!
well I'll get to the point!!! Me and my boyfriend are going to the drive in movies Saturday and I was wondering how do I leave the radio on to listen to the movie with out draining my battery??? I did this on my float trip last weekend and I needed a jump start after (I turned the key all the way backwards until the radio came on and when I went to start it later battery dead!!!)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way other than what you did
the radio pulls power off the battery
Depending on the quality of the battery you
may get a few hours out of it before it does not start
the Jeep

Aaron2345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my oPtima. Can keep the key on for hours with no issues. So basically like J thomPson said. Depending on your battery...

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you visit your local parts store and have your battery tested.
My Liberty starts just fine however if I leave my GPS plugged in overnight it will do the same thing, it will kill the battery and that's just not right.

This week I'm going to have mine tested.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep get a better battery.

Below is a pic of the after test from running my stereo for 6 hours at work wathcing movies on my flipout,also have 2 ten inch subs with a 750watt mono amp.The battery is a Odessey PC1500(same battery as the Sears DieHard Platinum P1).

You must be registered for see images attach

More then enough juice to start the 3.7,even after 6 hours of being drained.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
optima, or just buy an external cd player :)
Optima's are now one of the worst batteries you can buy since Johnson Controls bought them a few years ago and moved production to Mexico.They reduced the warranty length also since they now know they are junk and generally fail right outside of the warranty period.

At least the Sears Diehard Platinum P1 and Odessey PC1500(both the same battery made by Odessey) have a 4 year free replacement then like another 84 month prorated warranty which makes them more then worth there higher cost.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
What I've done... kind of a pain, but it works... is to periodically start the vehicle during the movie (or between movies - our outdoor theater does 2 movies back to back) to give the battery the opportunity to recharge some. So long as your KJ isn't super loud, I shouldn't even give your neighbors reason to complain.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What I've done... kind of a pain, but it works... is to periodically start the vehicle during the movie (or between movies - our outdoor theater does 2 movies back to back) to give the battery the opportunity to recharge some. So long as your KJ isn't super loud, I shouldn't even give your neighbors reason to complain.

Shouldn't even have to do that on accessory mode only, but it certainly makes me feel much more comfortable after "The Incident". The only battery that I have had which disallowed this action was an Optima. Go figure, LOL.

Someone needs a new battery.

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I've only been to a drive in once with the KJ, but it worked fine the whole time.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Shouldn't even have to do that on accessory mode only, but it certainly makes me feel much more comfortable after "The Incident".

Oh, I agree. I think I sometimes have paranoid tendencies, so I usually do that between movies. Just for peace of mind.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a new battery. Only way to do it. your battery is on its last leg which is broken.

this will get you through till morning:

You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great (best) battery choice RM.
Wish we had Sears Center's here, would have also bought the Platinum, also made by EnerSys and saved a few $ over the Odyssey. I know I was tired of replacing lead acid batteries every 4-5 years and the AGM by Sears or Odyssey should last 7-10 years easily.
That 880 CCA is well under rated. On my recent Odyssey Purchase (DT) PC1500-34-78 it easily load tested out at 1219 CCA !! Reserve time is well over 2 hours at 20 amp draw and still will start vehicle no problemo. I still would recommend that you start the vehicle for 10 minutes and charge any battery after hours of drain by radio etc on, to be on the safe side. The AGM's do recover very well and completely sealed, no science project ever... is the bonus. Even though Optima's are popular, I agree with Troy there are better choices when it comes longevity and quality batteries.
43758[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• BuickOdysseyBatteryMarineTerminals.jpg
    BuickOdysseyBatteryMarineTerminals.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0

widwesternjeepz

Reaction score
I have had the opposite experience here, i run Optima's, i got one thats seven years old now and it still holds up like new on a load test. I have a couple that are only 2-3 years old and so far no problems there either.

One of my Red Tops replaced an ailing DieHarder battery, around here we call them DieHarder, cause when they die its usually at the absolute worst time ever, usually at a -20 below morning when your freezing your **** off with -30 or worse wind chills and just want it to start to warm you up. Hence it DiesHarder cause it makes it ******* you. LOL

I know one guy that had an Odyssey battery, it did great for about two years, then i asked him why he always had a jumpstart box in the front seat plugged into the cig lighter on his way to work, he said just charging his backup while driving... I was like what? He said he would jump it to get going, then charge the jumpstart box on the way to work, then unplug that, then when he got done with work he would jump it again! They did replace it under warranty, but he only got about a year out of the next one and finally gave up on them. Maybe you guys get better quality DieHard or Odyssey bat's but here we don't trust em farther then we can toss them, and they are darn heavy!!

The other battery i have had my run ins with is Interstate... Most of the darn stores where i live have nothing but cheap Durastart and Interstate batteries. I had to drive sixty miles to get an Optima for my last vehicle. That was three years ago and i pulled it when i sold that car and got the wife a new one, i took the cheap battery from the new car and tossed it in the one we sold and put the three year old Optima in the new car, still going strong, and she tends to leave stuff on and drain the battery at least once a month cause she doesn't always drive to work every day. Its amazing how dead a battery can get after a weekend of having a MP3 charger pulling off it. I measured one and its like 125mA, so its takes a long time but it will bring it low enough after a four day memorial weekend to make it turn over really slow when she got back to it, but the Optima did start it up fine, i tossed a small smart maintainer on it after work to bring it back up overnight, good to go until she drains it again!! LOL

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also looked in to the DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34
Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78DT (Price with Exchange)- DieHard-Automotive-Batteries-Car Batteries
AWESOME REVIEWS IT HAS at sears by me

Yep get a better battery.

Below is a pic of the after test from running my stereo for 6 hours at work wathcing movies on my flipout,also have 2 ten inch subs with a 750watt mono amp.The battery is a Odessey PC1500(same battery as the Sears DieHard Platinum P1).

More then enough juice to start the 3.7,even after 6 hours of being drained.
I looked up tjkj2002 battery and his runs the $300 range
I don't know what ODYSSEY battery I need but I looked at the web site for some prices (DAMN)
ODYSSEY Batteries - Batteries, Auto / LTV

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah ours does that to, 2 movies so I guess I can let it run of course before movie shut off, after first movie let run, then second movie shut off, and then start n go home. the movies are about 1:45 each so would that be to long to let it sit???

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also looked in to the DieHard Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34
Platinum Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78DT (Price with Exchange)- DieHard-Automotive-Batteries-Car Batteries
AWESOME REVIEWS IT HAS at sears by me

I looked up tjkj2002 battery and his runs the $300 range
I don't know what ODYSSEY battery I need but I looked at the web site for some prices (DAMN)
ODYSSEY Batteries - Batteries, Auto / LTV
3170-if-youve-got-sears-auto-buy-die-hard-if-your-canada-you-buy-if-your-sick-tired-plugging.jpg

300 and tax in Canada. They are sealed so shipping is allowed through the mail. Loads of places that offer reasonable price on shipping if you don't have a retailer near by.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online