Need Car Alarm--A$$hl(s) broke into my kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I found out some ********* broke into my KJ. To their credit they didn't break anything and only took the change I kept in the glove compartment. So I've decided to install a car alarm. In particular I need one that will sound if someone opens a door w/o de-activating it first.

Do you have any suggestions?

THANKs

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock alarm is OK, I hate those aftermarket alarms, they all sound the same.
Plus it won't stop anyone from stealing, it will just make them nervous and they will damage your jeep trying to get away with it

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they didn't break anything, how did they get in? :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock alarm is ok if you get the motion detector(or whatever its called). With the stock alarm they must open a door for the alarm to sound. If they break a window and leave the doors closed then the alarm will not go off.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they break a window, who cares if you have the loudest alarm, damage is down already. I honestly don't care about that. Sentry key is good enough. Otherwise, if someone wants to steal something, they don't care what is there.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. How did they get in?

(Speaking of this: A few months ago, the same thing happened to me and I finally found out what they stole a few days ago... they were just $2 pieces of fabric so I don't care.)

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. How did they get in?

(Speaking of this: A few months ago, the same thing happened to me and I finally found out what they stole a few days ago... they were just $2 pieces of fabric so I don't care.)

One of two things...I was a fellow ******* and forgot to lock it or the used a slim jim.

And all that for some change. Just like in your case nothing of value was taken.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Any of the alarms made by DEI (Directed Electronics). You've probably heard of the Viper brand, as it's probably the most popular. DEI makes Viper, Hornet, Avital, Clifford...etc etc etc....all outstanding alarms. A guy at work just had one put on his truck a couple of months ago (A Hornet alarm). Really nice system....has the standard shock sensors with glass sensors built into the shock ones, and he opted for the 2-way system with the 2-way remote that will beep or vibrate to alert you if something is wrong. His also has remote start. Little thing even tells you exactly what sensor was tripped if somebody tried to break in.

He's got an older truck with no factory security, so it was relative inexpensive to have installed (definitely a project best left to the pros...plus the warranty from DEI is void unless an authorized DEI dealer does the work)...I want to say it ran him somewhere around the $500-600 range out the door. On the KJ however, it might be a bit more, as i'm almost positive Chrysler put the chip in regardless of if you got the factory Sentry system....and this chip has to be bypassed with a special module, and I hear that module is quite pricey.

Call around to some of the custom car audio shops...a lot of them do alarms and are authorized DEI dealers.

http://www.directed.com/ <-----The link to DEI's site with all their products.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You slip it down into the door from the outside to unlock the door. Its silly how simple it is to prevent it but for some reason some vehicles can still be broken into. Ive never tried it on the kj but Ive heard it works like a charm.

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They leave that "backdoor" open so the ******** FFFFIN TOW TRUCKS or PD can just open the door and tow it away.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
There is no chip if you don't have Sentry Key.

So the bypass module (around $60) is not necessary. So all you'd have to pay for is the alarm and installation.

In his case, he has a 2005, he HAS to install the bypass module if he also plans to install a remote start. (Might as well considering you're already spending so much on the alarm.)

jcpryce

Reaction score
They leave that "backdoor" open so the ******** FFFFIN TOW TRUCKS or PD can just open the door and tow it away.

I repo cars, and the slim jim is the last thing i reach for when getting into the cars i get. For me at least, it is quicker to shove a wedge in the crack of the door and using a small rod hit the unlock button or pull on the door handle and pop it open. The only problem cars i have to deal with are BMW, you need 3 rods and 4 hands to get it done...
So unless they somehow get rid of the door cracks.... I'll still get in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I repo cars, and the slim jim is the last thing i reach for when getting into the cars i get. For me at least, it is quicker to shove a wedge in the crack of the door and using a small rod hit the unlock button or pull on the door handle and pop it open. The only problem cars i have to deal with are BMW, you need 3 rods and 4 hands to get it done...
So unless they somehow get rid of the door cracks.... I'll still get in.

You repo cars? SWEET. You should create a thread telling us your stories!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would always park between two cars with wheel locked with a bar. Could you still tow it?

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this will be appropriate.

(rotflmao):D"If there's a wheel, there's a way" :D(rotflmao)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would always park between two cars with wheel locked with a bar. Could you still tow it?

Yup, go to youtube and look up repo man. Cool videos about how smooth these guys are. They don't even have to unlock the vehicle at first, they can just pick it up, wheel it down the street, and then fix it to the tow vehicle. You car could be gone in about 15 seconds.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no chip if you don't have Sentry Key.

So the bypass module (around $60) is not necessary. So all you'd have to pay for is the alarm and installation.

In his case, he has a 2005, he HAS to install the bypass module if he also plans to install a remote start. (Might as well considering you're already spending so much on the alarm.)

Yes - the only time you need to bypass Sentry is if you want a remote start. Sentry ONLY kills the ignition if the proper RF isn't sensed - vehicle will runfor about 2 seconds.

The modules shouldn't be that expensive, and they are a piece of cake to install. Mine (DEI) was shipped for about $25 off ebay (new). Truthfully, you don't even need the module, you can make your own with a coil of wire! There's no cutting/splicing into the stock system - the bypass just has a transmitter that you put near the key hole under the column trim. When you activate the remote starter, the transmitter send the signal. When the remote starter is not used, it's just a dead wire.