Need a skid plate....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a skid plate to go between the engine crossmember and the front bumper. You know, to keep the rad and A/C lines safe from harm. I've already installed the engine/trans/tcase/gas tank skids so I feel pretty confident that I'm protected but still feel like something is missing. Any direction would/will be much appreciated. Otherwise I'm breaking out the cardboard and 3/8" plate and making my own. Would it be safe to use the front tow hook mounting as a skid mount?

Regards

Ian

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say you are gonna have to make that one yourself.

I suppose the tow hook points would be fine. I would take the hook itself (2bolts) off of the factory mounting plates and then use those for a mounting point. Of course then you would have to do something different for front tow points.

Would be interesting to see how you work it out. 3/8 might be overkill, but no one complains about that often. Just might be a bit heavy. Maybe 1/4" with some reinforcement on the backside?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only mentioned the 3/8" because I happen to have a big chunk of it laying around. I also figured I'd reinstall the tow hooks in the same location, just using slightly longer bolts. I'll be sure to post pics of the mock-up and finished product when the weather warms up a little. Until then I'll have to keep an eye out for those tree stumps and rocks lurking beneath the snow.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that myself. If you do make one you'll have to leave an access hole in it to get to the oil filter or you'll be taking it off and reinstalling it when you do an oil change unless you can do it from the top.

Dave