Need a little help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of drops of redish clear liquid under the Jeep. I traced it up to the highest point and it appears to be coming from the hose pictured below. The picture is looking straight down from the front of the jeep.I originally thought it was ATF+4 but the hose looks to be coming out of the radiator down into the engine so it could be coolant. What is the hose and what is involved to replace it?

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the clamp and I can move the clamp and hose with my fingers. I wouldn't think you should be able to do that. I'm going to pick up a new clamp tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a trans cooler line
it is ATF
those clamps do suck
you can not simply slide it back and slip a new clap on
you will need to slip the rubber hose off of the metal one
then remove the old clamp

on a side note I had a similar problem with the pressure line on my TJ
I replaced the entire rubber section of hose and installed
with GOOD style hose clamps
I have also seen a TJ with an aftermarket radiator and SS braided hoses
owner did AC work and had a flare tool
he repaired an AC in exchange for the custom made hoses
it was very first class and 99% leak proof
also 99% cut proof

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clamp didn't solve the problem. Came home tonight and there was a drop under the Jeep. Popped the hood and there was fluid on the hose. I guess the next step is to replace the hose. I'm guessing I can get this at Advanced or Napa. Does anybody know what the inside diameter of the hose is?

darksun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by chance did the liquid under the Jeep drip from the t-case? I've been noticing the same thing, I have a couple little splotches of reddish oil under my jeep every so often and when I looked under it seems to be coming out of everywhere!

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My leak was next to the front passenger tire. I traced it up to the hose off of the trans cooler in the picture.

pssbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the hose yesterday and that didn't solve the problem. So I took it to Firestone who replaced the radiator back in July.Different store though as we had to have it replaced in NC on our way back from vacation in VA. They discovered that the o-ring on the lower metal tubing coming out of the tansmission cooler was left out. A new one was put in so far it looks like the problem is fixed. Knock on wood.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by chance did the liquid under the Jeep drip from the t-case? I've been noticing the same thing, I have a couple little splotches of reddish oil under my jeep every so often and when I looked under it seems to be coming out of everywhere!

Time to pull open the X-case and re RTV it.

To the OP: Time for a new hose. might say on the hose itself the diameter. or try going to the auto store and have them look it up.

Latest posts

Members online