narrow or wide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a liberty narrow and tall. Reason is that with wide tires you push a big wall of mud and it slows you down, then wide tires grab a lot of mud and bog the motor down, so you end up going slow and lugging the motor. Then your stuck. If you have a big hp motor or nitrous in your libby then sure you can get away with wider tires, but without some extra power your gonna bog down, slow down and get stuck. Get some 235/85/16 in a mud tread and you will have plenty of power to spin them and plenty of grab to keep moving. IMO

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For most terrain, wider is better. More contact=better traction.

The reason I think wider ones are better in mud is becasue with s skinny tire, your going to sink in deeper and have to climb out of that AND push thru the mud. IMO. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you want both...................

Tall and narrow in the front,wide and just a tad bit shorter in the rear.You also want to offset the rims so the center lines of the F/R tires is identical that way the narrow front tires cut a path and the wider rerar tires will not have to cut a wide path but will grip the surrounding mud(about 1"-2" on either side) to boost your forward movement without excessive drag.Also the theory of running taller tires in the front is to keep you going forward instead of sideways,the F/R gearing in a 4wd is geared for this but adding to it makes it work alot better,you can also air the F/R tires down differently also to achieve the same effect(say 24psi front and 18psi rear).

I know that setup made a world of difference when I used to mud drag race,ran 34x9.50x15 TSL's up front(on 15x6 rims at 22psi) and 33x14.50x15 Boggers in the rear(on 15x10 rims at 20psi),then when Interco came out with the 33x10.50x15 Bogger I switched to them in place of the TSL's and kept them at about 24psi with the rears being at 16-18psi.Makes a world of difference.

But thats setup is not for a DD,I would go with wider tires all around,better floatation where as the skinny tires will dig and then your hanging up on your undercarrage to much which will cause much more drag them wider tires will that stay on the surface better.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you want both...................

Tall and narrow in the front,wide and just a tad bit shorter in the rear.You also want to offset the rims so the center lines of the F/R tires is identical that way the narrow front tires cut a path and the wider rerar tires will not have to cut a wide path but will grip the surrounding mud(about 1"-2" on either side) to boost your forward movement without excessive drag.Also the theory of running taller tires in the front is to keep you going forward instead of sideways,the F/R gearing in a 4wd is geared for this but adding to it makes it work alot better,you can also air the F/R tires down differently also to achieve the same effect(say 24psi front and 18psi rear).

I know that setup made a world of difference when I used to mud drag race,ran 34x9.50x15 TSL's up front(on 15x6 rims at 22psi) and 33x14.50x15 Boggers in the rear(on 15x10 rims at 20psi),then when Interco came out with the 33x10.50x15 Bogger I switched to them in place of the TSL's and kept them at about 24psi with the rears being at 16-18psi.Makes a world of difference.

But thats setup is not for a DD,I would go with wider tires all around,better floatation where as the skinny tires will dig and then your hanging up on your undercarrage to much which will cause much more drag them wider tires will that stay on the surface better.

all this is great advise
but if you ask me I would tell you to stay out of the mud
I am in South Louisiana and all we have is mud and dirt hills
on deep mud ,there is no bottom wide tires and big H/P make it every one else sinks
when it comes to wet dirt hills
a 34 X 9.5 TSL will make it before any one else

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It's been my experience that tall skinny tires sink down in the mud and find the harder ground on the bottom, giving somewhat better traction. (Providing of course that the mud isn't too deep!)
If it is too deep, thats where vehicle recovery comes into play!