mystery bolt under rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a bolt lying on the rear floor under the left seat and was wondering if any of you have an idea where it came from. We purchased the Liberty new several weeks ago. Could the bolt have been an extra the factory left in by mistake and the dealer prep people just missed?

Length is approximately 5.5 cm (~3.5 cm thread length).

You must be registered for see images

I may be going by the dealer tomorrow to pick up the license plate and would like to get your thoughts before asking them about the bolt.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------
’06 Liberty Sport with tow package

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like one of the bolts that mounts down your seats; like the one located in the rear corner of the rear seat. But I'm sure you checked them and they are all accounted for (?).

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one also, under the front seat. But found no missing bolts. Freaked me out, I found it when I was trailin', in the middle of nowhere. Just an extra, left behind.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I did find an extra screw cover (the one that goes in our door handles) under my driver seat when I first received my KJ.

Maybe these are 'easter eggs' DC employees at the factory leave behind so someday when they run into a KJ owner they'll look under the seat and say, "Hey! I made this KJ!!" (biggrin)

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My husband used to work as a mechanic at a GM dealership and when they would get a new shipment in, he would have to inspect them and 2 out of every 10 vehicles would have something left behind from the plant. One time he lifted up the hood and found 4 new tools that were just left there!! And boy was he happy to get new tools!!! \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
Maybe these are 'easter eggs' DC employees at the factory leave behind so someday when they run into a KJ owner they'll look under the seat and say, "Hey! I made this KJ!!" (biggrin)

Good idea! =D>

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a bolt for securing kids seats perhaps??

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberator said:
It could be a bolt for securing kids seats perhaps??

Probably not. I've had (still have) all kinds of kid seats...nothing resembles anything that'd fit a 5.5 cm bolt. Besides, KJ's got that LATCH ready thing...nice feature!

barhpr

Reaction score
mystery block off wood

well...after 8 months of closing the drivers door and hearing a thud sound,thinking it was the window motor,I finally pulled the door pannel off and found a 9" long piece of 2x4,painted all silver..... Im hoping it wasnt a facoty piece cause i threw it away,and its alot quieter when i close the door now...guess the garbage man at the factory cleans like I do.outta site outta mind [-o<

mwright186

Reaction score
I found that same bolt under the rear seat of the used '02 I bought a few weeks ago. Funny that the previous owner did not find it, or the person that leased it before him :-k .

mwright186

Reaction score
I found that same bolt under the rear seat of the used '02 I bought a few weeks ago. Funny that the previous owner did not find it, or the person that leased it before him :-k .

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: mystery block off wood

barhpr said:
well...after 8 months of closing the drivers door and hearing a thud sound,thinking it was the window motor,I finally pulled the door pannel off and found a 9" long piece of 2x4,painted all silver..... Im hoping it wasnt a facoty piece cause i threw it away,and its alot quieter when i close the door now...guess the garbage man at the factory cleans like I do.outta site outta mind [-o<

Sorry I am not hijacking...honest

Made me laugh out loud...i bought a Golf GTi 16V once (Rabbit?) and the electric window didn't work....no problem i thought..I am an electrician by trade...i'll sort it in 2 mins.. Took the door panel off to find a bit of 2x1 holding the glass up.... doh!

...Could be worse, we have a lot of 90's japanese cars imported into the UK and the guys are finding all sorts of strange dead insects and animals in their heaters and crevices!!

Sorry...back to loose bolts!!