My trusty Cobra just let the smoke out! Suggestions Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My trusty Cobra CB circa 1998 just self destructed.

Need a replacement. Tech has changed quite a bit since then.

Im hat in hand for suggestions!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not good. I still like CB's with Single Side band.
I don't know how many even use CB anymore. Most consider Ham radio.
Some of the cobra's can still be modded for more powerful finals and tuned with a power mic.
I have an antron 99 18' (3 section) splatter stick that can shoot skip,with good ears once I'm on the mountain.
For car to car communications, I use GMRS hand helds.
I also have 40 channel cb walkies. My base CB is well tuned with half channels 50 watt output SSB.
Lots of choices I suppose.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trusty Cobra CB circa 1998 just self destructed.

Need a replacement. Tech has changed quite a bit since then.

Im hat in hand for suggestions!
I’d suggest it is likely some capacitors that have gone bad.
you’d need what we used to have all around. Techs who can work to component level.

do you know anyone around your area who does electronic repair? Guitar amps? Electronic organ tech? Ham radio club?

someone of that calibre should easily handle.

i’m looking at ham licensure myself. Finding time to study the exam - another issue. Lol

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’d suggest it is likely some capacitors that have gone bad.
you’d need what we used to have all around. Techs who can work to component level.

do you know anyone around your area who does electronic repair? Guitar amps? Electronic organ tech? Ham radio club?

someone of that calibre should easily handle.

i’m looking at ham licensure myself. Finding time to study the exam - another issue. Lol
I was an electronic tech in my old career. I opened this up suspecting blown caps too, which there was, but the hole through the board is a bad sign.

Irish429

Reaction score
After my Cobra bit the dust I moved over to the Ham bands which cover both GMRS and FRS. SOooo much better especially on the trails. There are more frequencies that you could ever want to uise. It's also very quiet with now out of state chatter which makes it wonderful on the trails. In Colorado where we off-road in the San Juans, we can also hit the repeaters if we need to contact the sheriff for emergencies. No body monitors the old channel 9 of CB in our area so it's mainly just the kids playing with it. I do carry a small CB on the JK but it's only for talking to those who are CB only. Most all the rigs we have are UHF/VHF now. The prices are compatible with CB's and the license is painless. Stay safe!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
For anyone interested in Ham radio the US no longer has a morse code test for licensing. There is a lot of info online at arrl.org and eham.net.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it is legal in the US to use a ham radio on GMRS. I think amateur radio operators in the US on the 70cm band are limited to 420-450MHz, GMRS is around 462-467 with varying power restrictions

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I doubt it is legal in the US to use a ham radio on GMRS. I think amateur radio operators in the US on the 70cm band are limited to 420-450MHz, GMRS is around 462-467 with varying power restrictions
True. A freebanded Ham radio is able to transmit on GMRS/FRS but they might not be able to lower the transmit power to the half-watt required by FRS. FRS also requires a rubber-duck antenna.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.