My Pop-up camper build!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is looking good. Very nice work.

Dave

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that paneling? Looks similar to the plastic Coroplast that gets used for signs ( corrogated plastic cardboard looking stuff) .
Looking good.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin good! Makes me want to get a pop-up. lol

If you want a rather simple way to lift it, just do a spring over axle conversion.
It'll give like 3 inches of lift just by putting the axle under the leafs.

Check on craigslist, like mine you may find one for free!
And you have a longer camping season, so it would nice to have one down there, and as light as they are they can be towed with anything, mine weights about 1400 dry, and I may add 200 for gear, and maybe another 100 for the new wheels and tires compared to the old smaller ones.
So total 1700, probably won't even feel it unless accelerating up some steep hills.
I may be doing that, and then also adding lift blocks if I need to.
I want to make sure the existing leaf springs, axle and frame will actually be able to support it, due to the new stress that would be added!

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that paneling? Looks similar to the plastic Coroplast that gets used for signs ( corrogated plastic cardboard looking stuff) .
Looking good.

My grandparents own a company that makes custom ceilings and skylights and I actually got it from them, nice to have connections :D

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran into a snag last night, when one of the cables to pop it up snapped...
Ended up spending about 4 hours today getting it replaced, and it probably could of been done in 2-3 if I knew what I doing and didn't find some hidden slack when I thought I was done...
But shes all back together and got nothing else really accomplished on it today, I think laying down for a few hours underneth it in a few inches I had trying to run a cable and crimp it down while keeping it tight then up through the side etc. really wore me out..
Then standing in line at the finianical aid office of school only to find out they gave me $1000 in pell grants for books!! To bad its only good at the bookstore and good thing they sell laptops there!!
$700 on all the books and $300 on a dell mini laptop :D
Really made my day worth while!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^sounds like it is beer time to me.............I got one.....:p:D

Dave

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^sounds like it is beer time to me.............I got one.....:p:D

Dave

Too bad I'm still 19...
And probably one of few 19 years old that doesn't drink :p
Not really a fan of it, it costs a lot and tends to cause trouble and the mornign after isn't always pleasant..
But when I turn 21 I will drink, not to get drunk, but just one or two classy brews, not that natty light crap... :D

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad I'm still 19...
Not really a fan of it, it costs a lot and tends to cause trouble and the mornign after isn't always pleasant..
But when I turn 21 I will drink, not to get drunk, but just one or two classy brews, not that natty light crap... :D

you just need more/new friends to show you the way

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad I'm still 19...

don't feel bad, I'm 41 and don't drink :D

I got lucky, none of my popups ever broke the cables, heard they were a bear to replace.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Many of the pop-ups I got had been left when the cables or pulleys broke.Had I not need the money for the scrap I would have saved one.I did "buy" an Apache hard side. But had to sell it to pay for it.
I'm 49 (today) and a non drinker. Not saying drinking is wrong. I did drink until about 12 years ago,stopped and don't miss it. But your attitude on drinking is great, keep it.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't feel bad, I'm 41 and don't drink :D

I got lucky, none of my popups ever broke the cables, heard they were a bear to replace.

Haha oh I don't I can have just as much fun as them without the drama and issues that arise.
Gotta love playing Pop-pong.
It wasn't too bad, but if I wasn't as small young and maneuverable as I am and use to wrenching under a car there would be problems... Now that I know how to do it, I bet it could be done in an hour or hour and half as long as there weren't any issues along the way.

Looks good. Many of the pop-ups I got had been left when the cables or pulleys broke.Had I not need the money for the scrap I would have saved one.I did "buy" an Apache hard side. But had to sell it to pay for it.
I'm 49 (today) and a non drinker. Not saying drinking is wrong. I did drink until about 12 years ago,stopped and don't miss it. But your attitude on drinking is great, keep it.

Haha yeah all of my friends drink except for me well most are 21.. I like to make fun of them for buying there $20-30 bottles or a case that costs about $20. I will drink my can of pop which I buy only on sale so $3.00 a 12 pack or less :D
Also then I am capable of driving after and waking up early to work or work on projects around the house Jeep truck I'm building and now camper, and I guess I get to play parent for those who shouldn't be driving, either picking them up or taking them home, which I don't mind because I either get gas money or just good karma :)

Also on a note for the camper, I got 4 coats of the white Kool Seal on the roof.
I ordered 2 quarts of white semi-gloss exterior latex to put over it, and it will only be $6.00 a can since I get everything for cost if its not an in-store item, I just need to wait til Friday to get it!
While underneath I checked the floor and its solid just about everywhere except in front of one wheel well Its still pretty solid just discolored so the entire underside will be coated in black rustoleum as well as the frame.
Also found some awesome fabric at Jo Ann Fabrics. Black for the dinette cushions in the discount bin for $6.00 or so I thought... Then found out at the registrar its $6.00 a yard, or $42.00 for the 8 yards, so that went back.
Any ideas on real cheap fabric for the cushions? Not anything fancy, just plain black is my plan.
Then also SS or sheet metal (with a clear coat over it) counter tops came to my mind with Rivets or exposed screw heads in the corner to look a little industrial.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to clean one bunkend of the canvas and got probably 50% of the stains out, it does look a little better, but I guess most of those stains are too far gone after 5 or so years...
I ordered the canvas patch material to patch up a few bigger holes 3"x3" size and a few tiny tears.
Anyone have any ideas on making a door for one of these? It shouldn't be too hard just don't know how to get some hinges that can be removed easily...

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the camper use piano hinges or aluminum ones that are recessed or hidden. Removable ones... here try this, only 2501 you can search through :D

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/hinges/supplies/hardware/ecatalog/N-9bq?op=search

Haha thanks. I got an idea to get hinges like wrangler doors are. With a a fixed female section to the frame of the camper, then a fixed male section to the door, where you can just drop it in place, and put a nut on the lower side, but not actually use the nut most of the time.
The existing hard door folds down to a step so It not the type of door you add to the existing hard door.

Edit Already found them on the site, thanks Tahoe!!
They are called lift-off hinges, and actually are pretty cheap.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. The top got two coats of white semi-gloss exterior latex. The dinette was changed a little, with one side pulled out and cut down and rewelded to be an L-shaped couch. Also ordered the new floor. I will pull up the laminate that is there now, place 1/8" wood underlayment and put the adhesive backed tiles down once the couch is done.
Also canvas is half cleaned and going back up tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Members online