My new ZJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up this Grand Cherokee on Wednesday. Thought I'd share. :)
It's a loaded '97 Laredo with Selec-Trac.

You must be registered for see images

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, looks like it's in really good shape to be 10 years old...it might possibly need a good detailing on the outside to get it looking perfect....but, um, what happened to the KJ??

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice ZJ but you didn't sell the KJ.....did you???

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, how many miles and how much did you pay? It looks nice and clean. I would buy old original Cherokee if I were in the market. Those things are also nice.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't plan on buying this. I did however plan to sell the KJ. I was going to go back to a pickup again. I found one I wanted, and my parents wanted my KJ. So I tried to time everything properly and unfortunately it didn't work out, and I lost the truck deal, but my parents had already gotten the loan for mine. I wasn't going to back out of their deal like that, that's not how I am, so I decided to still let the KJ go even though I wasn't able to find another truck I wanted. Instead of buying a truck right now, I bought this Jeep to get me throught he winter and since I don't have a car payment, I'm going to save up money down on something new next year.

It has a lot of miles on it actually. 147k, but was extremely well maintained and has no issues whatsoever, got it for $4200. I was originally looking at Cherokees, and the dealer I went to had 5 or 6 of each, I drove a really nice, but also high miles(higher) '97 Cherokee Sport, but it was the same price, and none of the luxury of this ZJ, and after finding rust on all of the other Cherokees there, even those with low miles, and a low milage ZJ that had front differential noise, I decided on this one. It is a 4.0, has great power, and is pretty much getting the gas milage I expected, which is about 1mpg worse than my KJ.

I like my KJ, and I'll still see it, seeing as it's still in my driveway until my parents pick it up. They'll take just as good of care as it as me. My plan didn't work out quite like I wanted, and I pretty much downgraded by doing this, but for the long term, saving up and buying something newer, or even new will be best, especially since I get vehicle discounts off on Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, and that includes Jeeps too. :)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that makes sense....sorry to hear the plan didn't work out, but like you said, in the long run this might be even better for you.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as that ZJ was well taken care of as you say, that 4.0 has another 100,000 miles in it. That was a good find.

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
As long as that ZJ was well taken care of as you say, that 4.0 has another 100,000 miles in it. That was a good find.

Dave

Aint that the truth.

Now the pictures are showing up again.....weren't there last night for some reason....but anyways, nice ZJ.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I should be able to go to the dealer that it was serviced at and get the service records. Supposedly the owner made a lot of trips to the Florida with it, so a lot of these miles may be highway. Here's a couple more pics from today.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice now that you've got it all cleaned up....and I've always liked those xcx/apt Michelin's, a friend of mine had a set of those on an old International P/U.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah! 4.0Ls can be abused and still make it to 247k. Believe me, I've seen it, lol.

As long as he doesn't let you "park it" in your lot it will be ok.........:D

Dave

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice now that you've got it all cleaned up....and I've always liked those xcx/apt Michelin's, a friend of mine had a set of those on an old International P/U.

I never had them before, but they look like a descent tread on them. They're like brand new, so I can't justify taking them off and putting larger tires on it like I'm so tempted to do...so I'll run them for now and see how they are.