My New Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, ever since I painted my wheels, I have really wanted to take care of the rusting calipers behind them. I wanted to wait, though, until I needed to change the pads and rotors which I knew would need to be done soon. This weekend I was able to take care of everything. Here are the pics...

Out with the old..
You must be registered for see images attach

Prepped, taped and painted (after doing the underside)...

Drying...

In with the new...

Behind the wheels...

Some might not think it matters much, but I think the little things make the big difference.

Last edited:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I love your Rims/Wheels! What are they and do they come in 17''?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that looks pretty nice! :cool:
I think it looks good!!
looks spiffy
Thanks fellas. :)

I love your Rims/Wheels! What are they and do they come in 17''?
Thanks. Those are 17s. They are the chrome clad wheel option for the Limiteds starting in 2005. I painted them myself. Click Here To See

Thanks for making everybody else look lazy, big fat jerk! lol3.gif
It's not how you paint your Jeep, it's how you wheel your Jeep. You'd better learn that.

lol, I know. I'm a stickler for detail. Maybe it will get you people motivated.:whip:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go through (censored) and back pounding those rotors off?
I had to beat the crap out of the front right rotor to get it off. I first tried a rubber mallet. I whacked the rotor pretty good in multiple places with the mallet. Nothing. So, I went and got a square metal hammer and hit it somewhat lightly. Nothing. So, I found a good open spot an rared back and nailed it a few times and it finally popped off. Never quite had that much problem with a rotor coming off. The weird thing is that I had pulled the fronts off last year to have them turned. It wasn't that hard to get off then.

The other three came right off. The left front rotor took a couple of easy rubber mallet taps and the rears both came off by hand.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks clean. Like everything else you post!!

I'm thinking of cleaning mine up and coating them with the stuff VHT sells in a kit. Might take a while though and be a little more labour intensive. VHT says to take 'em off, clean 'em, spray 'em and then bake them, like cookies, in the oven. Should make for a durable finish.

Nice work on your's.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I had to beat the crap out of the front right rotor to get it off. I first tried a rubber mallet. I whacked the rotor pretty good in multiple places with the mallet. Nothing. So, I went and got a square metal hammer and hit it somewhat lightly. Nothing. So, I found a good open spot an rared back and nailed it a few times and it finally popped off. Never quite had that much problem with a rotor coming off. The weird thing is that I had pulled the fronts off last year to have them turned. It wasn't that hard to get off then.

The other three came right off. The left front rotor took a couple of easy rubber mallet taps and the rears both came off by hand.
That sounds exactly like what I went through!!!!! What is with those front right rotors!? Left side came off... slightly easier.

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all the little things that add up..I've been too lazy to do this..I've got a grand in my brakes and I'm yet to make them look pretty.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks clean. Like everything else you post!!

I'm thinking of cleaning mine up and coating them with the stuff VHT sells in a kit. Might take a while though and be a little more labour intensive. VHT says to take 'em off, clean 'em, spray 'em and then bake them, like cookies, in the oven. Should make for a durable finish.

Nice work on your's.
Thanks! I try to keep my stuff clean. Ain't afraid to get the Jeep dirty though.:icon_twisted:

I've not tried the VHT stuff. I use Dupli-Color Hi-Temp Engine Paint. I have always had good luck with it when using it on anything that heats up. I didn't put this stuff into the oven, but I have put items into the oven that I have painted before. The wife hates it.lol

That sounds exactly like what I went through!!!!! What is with those front right rotors!? Left side came off... slightly easier.
I don't know. It was weird. I've never had to put that much force into removing a rotor. Glad I'm not the only one.

It's all the little things that add up..I've been too lazy to do this..I've got a grand in my brakes and I'm yet to make them look pretty.
I figure if I am going to put $400 worth of brakes on, I should make it to where they look good and last.

Of course, I do this with everything I do. Has to be done to "perfection". Doesn't matter how much it costs.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those napa ultra premium rotors? What pads did you go with? Satisfied with them?
LOOKS like the same setup we went with on the KJ, Napa Ultra Premium Rotors with AdaptiveOne Pads.
Bingo, Marlon!

NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and Adaptive One pads.

I've only had them on for about 120 miles, so I don't have a lot of experience with them, but so far, they are nice.

My old rotors were warped and the steering shook badly. Obviously, with new rotors and pads, that is gone. I am extermely happy about that.lol

But as far as the performance of the new brakes, I haven't tested them fully yet.

The intitial look and feel of the rotors and pads are nice. They look quality and everything installed very easily. All the correct slides and grease were in the box, nicely wrapped with the pads and everything was labeled well.

With the rotors though, the Ultra Premiums are suppose to come with a painted hat (according to the website). The fronts didn't though. Rears did. All the correct part numbers are there, though. My dude at the local NAPA assured me they are the Ultra Premiums. He said that the change in maker means that 50% of the time they don't come with the painted hat. Doing some research on a Vette forum, it was stated a couple of times that the coating that comes on them burns off pretty easily anyway. So, I'm probably going to be better off with the paint that I used anyway. Just a heads up on that for anyone interested. I'm fully confident in the quality of the rotors, though. Paint is obviously just a cosmetic thing. I'm sure they will stop well and last.

As for the total package working together, they stop very smoothly and evenly. I did the brake bed in process and I have been driving very easily on them since putting them on. Going to for 500 miles. I haven't done any hard stops yet, but they feel as if they will grab pretty hard when I do. Now, in the mornings, I have to drive down a large hill. My driveway is pretty steep. They don't seem to want to grab totally in the morning without hiting the pedal pretty hard. However, I think this is just part of the wear in process. The more I do it, the better they are getting. I think once they are broken in, they are going to perform very well. After I heat them up a little going down my driveway, they function well.

With 120 miles on them, I have seen zero signs of brake dust on the wheels. My Jeep didn't brake dust that much before, but even less now it seems. I'm looking forward to putting these on the Town & Country. The brake dust is horrible on that vehicle.:shakehead: The pads on that thing still have quite a bit of life left, but I might switch them to these pads just to cut the brake dust down.:rofl:

Overall, I' am very happy with this combo. I'll try to report back when they are broken in and I do some towing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that my brakes were not as good at first also(I also went with the Ultra Premiums and Adaptive One Pads). Seemed like I had to push the pedal much harder than I used to. After they have worn in(think Ive got around 600miles on them now) they are working just as good if not better than the old brakes. Ive only replaced the rear brakes for now, fronts are still stock so its hard to tell much of a difference since the fronts do most of the braking. I would be pretty upset if I got the front ultra rotors and they were not painted. I guess I could also paint them like you did but thats more work. Wonder what the different between the Premiums and the Ultra Premiums is?

Im hoping my fronts wear out real quick so I can get new ones but they hardly look half worn :(.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that my brakes were not as good at first also(I also went with the Ultra Premiums and Adaptive One Pads). Seemed like I had to push the pedal much harder than I used to. After they have worn in(think Ive got around 600miles on them now) they are working just as good if not better than the old brakes. Ive only replaced the rear brakes for now, fronts are still stock so its hard to tell much of a difference since the fronts do most of the braking. I would be pretty upset if I got the front ultra rotors and they were not painted. I guess I could also paint them like you did but thats more work. Wonder what the different between the Premiums and the Ultra Premiums is?

I'm hoping my fronts wear out real quick so I can get new ones but they hardly look half worn :(.
Good to know someone else has the same experience.

As far as the Ultras not being painted, I was a little upset until I read thatthe coating it burns off easy. So again, I'm probably better off even though it took me more time to prep and paint.

For the differences, according to the NAPA site...

Premium:
NAPA Premium Rotors Are Designed To Improve Stopping Distances, Minimize Brake Fade & Extend Pad & Rotor Life.; The Non-Directional Finish On NAPA Premium Rotors Reduces Noise & Braking Roughness.; Vane Configuration Reduces Temperatures & Improves Performance.

Ultra Premium:
Out Of The Box "No Turn Guarantee".; NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors Are Precision Machined For Smooth Brake Operation.; Qc100 Venting Matches The O.E. Cooling Vanes To Manage Brake Temperature, Prevent Noise & Limit Vibration.; Onyx Guard Protectant Prevents Rust & Corrosion On The Rotor's Hat & Vanes & Improves The Vehicle's Appearance.; Enhanced Metallurgy Including Level Eq Sound Reducing Technology w/ Dampening Characteristics Is Targeted For Problematic Noise Applications.

I know the Ultras have a better Warranty. I really don't know other than that. I'd say most people would be perfectly happy with the Premiums.

My dad went with the Premiums and the Adaptive One pads on the front of his 2004 Ram 1500. But again, he only has around 400 miles on them. They seem to be working very well for him though.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that my brakes were not as good at first also(I also went with the Ultra Premiums and Adaptive One Pads). Seemed like I had to push the pedal much harder than I used to. After they have worn in(think Ive got around 600miles on them now) they are working just as good if not better than the old brakes.
Just an update...

This is exactly what I experienced. I had to press the brake harder to fully stop sometimes. It was real bad when cold, but got better as they got heated.

I now have over 1000 miles on them and the function completely as normal, but stop better than the stock brakes and don't produce any noticeable dust. I absolutely love this combo.

I wish I had the $$ to change over the Town & Country to these. The brake dust and the squealing on the stock brakes is horrible. I've taken them off, sanded them down a little and applied brake grease to the back of the pad. It helped stop the squealing for a few hundered miles, but it came back.

I know this though, as soon as I get money or need to change them, it will be Adaptive One pads and NAPA Ultra Premium rotors for the van. I'm sold.