My libby shuts off while driving / started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my battery tested, and its fine. It just shuts off randomly and possibly when engine is hot. When engine is shut off, radio plays just fine, and it makes "typewriter typing noise" from engine compartment. I try starting it as soon as it shuts off, it clicks a few times and no more clicks. I give it 5 minutes and it would start just fine. I took it to mechanic one time, they couldn't find what was wrong with it, and they could not simulate same problem so they just ran it through their computer. I took it to them yesterday again, and i'm just afraid they might not find anything and charge me for diagnostics again :( which would have been fine if they actually found a problem.

Anybody had that problem before? What could it be?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant help you on the issue itself. Seems like an odd problem. I would take it to a different shop if the current one you are going to keeps saying there is no issue. Not saying anything bad about that shop but clearly there is something they are missing. Maybe a new set of eyes at a new shop will help.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may need a DRBIII scan tool because you should have a stored internal code but the code can only be retrieved using the DRBIII tool. Most people do not know this, but some very high end scanners may be able to read the codes. also these codes will not give you a CEL, but the computer stores them until they are cleared.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*update*
one of tech was telling me it's something electrical contrary to what I was thinking (as far as heat having anything to do with it) I'm hoping they can find the problem this time. If they don't, like Hedsic said I'll find another shop or just go to the dealer. Chrysler dealer should have DRBIII scan tool right?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"and i'm just afraid they might not find anything and charge me for diagnostics again which would have been fine if they actually found a problem."

This makes it tough on us independent shop owners. If they put in the time searching for the issue, but it's not in their scope, do they not deserve recompense? How many of you make a profit,are totally productive, every second you're on your employers clock?

Bob

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"and i'm just afraid they might not find anything and charge me for diagnostics again which would have been fine if they actually found a problem."

This makes it tough on us independent shop owners. If they put in the time searching for the issue, but it's not in their scope, do they not deserve recompense? How many of you make a profit,are totally productive, every second you're on your employers clock?

Bob

I don't think he's saying he doesn't expect to pay. I think he's saying that he is afraid of being out more money yet not being any closer to finding out what the issue is. He's probably on a limited budget and every empty trail he pays for leaves him with less money towards the actual repair.