My July 4th boom!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped on the way home from fireworks on July 4th and got a quick rattle on startup. Lots of shaking and rough. Couldn't go over 40 on the 5 mile ride home. Started for work the next morning and hit napa thinking I had a bad coil ( p 0302). Nope... Limped it the the jeep dealer across the street and here's what they found after tear down.
You must be registered for see images attach

#2 valve seat damaged. I just got it towed to my shop today and one of my techs will hopefully have the heads off by the weekend. Don't know if the head can be saved or if trash now. I just hope nothing hit the piston and just damage to the head. 110k miles right now. Driving a POS yaris right now. I want my Liberty back! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed you could drive it. When our's did this it was the valve spring retainer. Weak design, makes a racket when one fails. Hopefully they can rebuild the head and no other damage occured. Good luck.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't drive mine after the noise and roughness started, and the head was able to easily be rebuilt. Hopefully the same for you even though you drove it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geeze. Another '02. I'd be sweating if I had an 02. Just saying, but has any other year done this?

Hopefully you can get the head remanned like yellowcoyote did. Let us know what happens.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far the head is trashed. One of my guys will hopefully have it apart tomorrow and can see if anything more underneath. Guess I'll know by Monday ...... Off to another fun drive in the rental Yaris :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk