My journey with the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "2k" do you mean like the two-stage paints places like Eastwood sell? If yes, I have looked on their site specifically but all the colors seem very generic (white, black, clear, etc.) and I am looking for that sort of dark grey factory look. Anyways, I ended up biting the bullet on a can of this dark grey SEM stuff Friday! Arrived yesterday. Now to just get a scrap trim piece out the junkyard and test spray it.

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "2k" do you mean like the two-stage paints places like Eastwood sell? If yes, I have looked on their site specifically but all the colors seem very generic (white, black, clear, etc.) and I am looking for that sort of dark grey factory look. Anyways, I ended up biting the bullet on a can of this dark grey SEM stuff Friday! Arrived yesterday. Now to just get a scrap trim piece out the junkyard and test spray it.
Yeah, the paints with a hardener that mixes in.

On other jeep forums I came across searching about painting plastic, people had very good reviews for SEM, and said it lasted a long time. If I can't find any colors I like in paints with a separate hardener, I'll be going with SEM myself.

I did end up finding 2 more renegade flares from an 03, with some trimming up front I believe I can make them work, as the mounting holes lined up with a 06 at the junkyard. I do have to do some plastic repair to them, but I'm glad i found something at least

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to start running power wire tonight for my little 8" slim sub/amp combo, and going to do a 800w or 1000w inverter shortly down the road.

Limited places to do it without drilling, I chose the area on the drivers side, to the lower left of where the main harness goes through the firewall, there's a clip you can just pop out from the inside with a screw driver.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had some 4ga wire from a previous stereo that fit through there nicely. The oval hole was already rounded over on the edges, so I put a couple layers of marine heat shrink on the wire, then some rtv around for water resistance.

Reactions: klc

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to keep plugging away at that stereo install, but had to make a pit stop as a great deal on a machinist tool box popped up, and I'm slowly gathering up every bargain on hobby machining equipment that I can to eventually have a couple little machines with some tooling.

So I put some pannels back in the jeep and brought it home, here was the pic from offer up

Then it was onto finishing sub install, the gear oil rtv I have matched well.

With carpet and plastic trim back in place, looks clean

This is the subs temporary home, as my seats stay down all the time for work loading things in and out. I just have my work apron covering the wires as I'm not cutting anything for a temp install.

Ran the wires through where the jack used to mount. Dropped the j-clip that screwed into, that sure was fun fishing out with a magnet with the seat and carpet in place LOL

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't updated anything in here for a little bit, durn split up with the ex really threw a wrench at me getting to wrenching on the kj as soon as I'd like to. But I figure I'll write up the never ending list of things I want/need to do to the kj.

-Upper and lower ball joints
-Rear brakes and e-brakes
-Replace stock worn out suspension
-Replace as many rubber mounts as I can
-Regear rear to 4:10's
-Put junkyard 4.10 diff housing back in and get 4wd back
-Install homelink rear view mirror and backup camera
-Buy and install 7-pin trailer harness
-Get junkyard window glass to replace chipped windshield
-Rebuild front driveshaft
-Frankenstein on a jk steel rear bumper
-See if getting some lsd's fit into budget with all this

I thought making this list would possibly get me more motivated. Now that I see it, it might of gone the other way around, lol!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have regear to 4.10s but next line put junkyard 4.10 diff housing back in and get 4WD back ??
So you already have 4.10s in it ? OR ???

Upper ball joints, if lifting just go with JBA UCAs and be done

lowers, Moog greaseables of course

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have regear to 4.10s but next line put junkyard 4.10 diff housing back in and get 4WD back ??
So you already have 4.10s in it ? OR ???

Yep I have a front assembly from a 4 cyl waiting with 4.10's in it already, going to put it in after I get going on the rear

Latest posts

Members online