My jeep has vermin!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure it's squirrels. They are getting up in the engine compartment and eating LOTS of nuts. I used the shopvac to suck up shells all over the top of the engine and on top of the battery today. They have also put shell up in the hood between the sheet metal. When I lifted the hood I can hear them rattle down. At the bottom of the hood there are some holes covered with heavy clear tape. I removed the tape on the two largest holes and was able to get some of the nuts out that way. I inspected most of the wiring and did not see any evidence of chewing yet.

So any ideas about how to get the shells out of the hood? Any ideas about how to keep the vermin out of my jeep?

For the second question I considered poison, but I'm worried about some of the neighborhood pets. I also thought about sitting out in the driveway with a pellet gun; this sound like it might be fun for an hour or so but then might get really old.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squirrels love to eat wire. Live trap them and take to the woods and let 'em go far away. Good traps cost money but work. Find their nests and destroy. Keep a dog near the Jeep. Pellet guns work great but neighbours aren't always understanding...

2003KJ

Reaction score
So I guess you could say your Jeep's got nuts???.....hahaha lame I know...

Anyways, i'll second the mice chewing through a wiring harness. Plus, better hope one of the critters isn't sitting on the serp. belt when you fire it up one morning. I've heard what a screaming cat on the fan belt sounds like....dont think i'd wanna hear a screaming squirrel.

GilaMonster

Reaction score
Pack Rats

I'm plauged by pack rats that will build nests with cactus and chew the wiring all up.
Once after doing a head gasket job on one of my old cars, they chewed throug the knock senso wiring, and I had to strip it down to the head to replace.

I've been dusting my engine compartment with cayane pepper. It seems to do the trick for now, but I always have to set out traps. These critters have a 6 week reproduction cycle.

Keep an eye on them, sometimes they chew up a rubber hose in the cooling system.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I've heard what a screaming cat on the fan belt sounds like...

W.
T.
F.
?!?!?!

Squirrels piss me off. A few encounters with the paintball gun taught them to stay away from the bird feeder though. \:D/

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real simple solution, get an outdoor cat! The cat will also take care of mice, and moles in the yard too. No problem with my cats in the fanbelt to date.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Cableguy said:
2003KJ said:
I've heard what a screaming cat on the fan belt sounds like...

W.
T.
F.
?!?!?!

An old buddy of mine had an 88 300ZX. If you've ever seen one of those up close, you'll see how the radiator and everything sits, at an angle. It's really easy for critters to crawl up there and stay warm on a cold night. Well he spent the night at my place one night (had a few too many to drink and i wouldn't let him drive home), and I was putting the garbage cans at the street while he was leaving. The minute he fired up the car kitty was no more.....

I'm not much of a cat fan to begin with, but it's still sad to see one go like that. And it's a sound i'd care to never hear again.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
An old buddy of mine had an 88 300ZX. If you've ever seen one of those up close, you'll see how the radiator and everything sits, at an angle. It's really easy for critters to crawl up there and stay warm on a cold night. Well he spent the night at my place one night (had a few too many to drink and i wouldn't let him drive home), and I was putting the garbage cans at the street while he was leaving. The minute he fired up the car kitty was no more.....

I'm not much of a cat fan to begin with, but it's still sad to see one go like that. And it's a sound i'd care to never hear again.
Great now I have to open the hood before I start her up or I'll end up grimacing 8-[ every time I turn the key. I don't think trapping them will work, I'd end up with a couple dozen squirrels and I already live in the woods. The cayane pepper idea is interesting. A guy at work said he put out a pan of beer for mice that were getting in his mustang; they drank themselves to death. I wonder what the tolerance of a squirrel is? My father suggested one of those high pitch sound emitters. I haven't looked into those yet, I could probably just make one if they work. I'm also parking in a slightly different place (the yard) it's farther away from the trees.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
rxraptor02 said:
mothballs

Actually that might work. Before I put the boat away for the winter I put them in there in open containers. Never had a problem. What if you put them in a mesh bag and tie them in an out of the way place under the hood somewhere???

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
rxraptor02 said:
mothballs

Actually that might work. Before I put the boat away for the winter I put them in there in open containers. Never had a problem. What if you put them in a mesh bag and tie them in an out of the way place under the hood somewhere???
I think this has been the best idea yet. I'm going to try it this afternoon. Thanks to everyone for their ideas, if you have any more toss them on in. I don't want any chewed up wires or bits of squirrel splattered all over my engine.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u r screwed!!! i saw a special on squirrels once. they r very intelligent critters. no matter what the people tried to do the squirrels always figured out a way around the obstacle. u need to kill them. its the only way. on this special they tried everything imaginable to help these people out but the squirrels kept defeating them. its amazing how smart they are. they dont give up. kinda cool but yeah ur screwed.

i would kill em. dead

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something else that might work.

More for your property than puttingit on the Jeep(unless you want a hood Ornament) Place a plastic OWL near your jeep either in a tree/fence post/roof of the house.

Fox urine: place it on trees or fence post near your jeep.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rxraptor02 said:
Fox urine: place it on trees or fence post near your jeep.

Fox urine? Where does one get fox urine? lol (lol)
Why not just urinate a line around your jeep. Sort of like marking your territory. I'm sure the neighbors won't mind. (lol)

kjmedic

Reaction score
Get a Beagle. They love to chase small animals and are fun to take for a ride in the jeep.