My Flare Chop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHOP CHOP!

Here's a quick little description of what I did with my flares, and a few visual aids.

Bought the flares brand new $95, as I didn't have any (damn Jeep boating accident :D ).

Cut the small section off that goes along the stock bumper, because they would not go on with my bumper in the way. Marked the lines with a sharpie. Grabbed my 4" grinder with a cutting wheel and went crazy on it. Put on a flap disc to smooth the edges.

After that, I dropped them off at Linex, paid $135 with taxes, took them home, popped in 5 grey heavy duty clips, and five 1/4 x 3/4 bolts. And that's it.

Taking off the sides of the flare gives me about 3" extra clearance for my future Long Travel setup with 33's. My wheel liners were already out, and the body painted black,so it's not an issue. She gets washed every Sunday, and always asap after wheeling, so dirt being trapped is also not an issue.

Well, that's all I guess....now that steel D30 needs to get here..

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flares came out good, Bruce.

Dave

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my best Forrest Gump voice; "I like that! A lot"

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love that style and the LineX. Really looking forward to seeing how JBA diff install goes so you can fit the 33's with 4.88's. Lots of anticipation!

Bob

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like hell i hate your jeep ... dont ever post again ,..,.. lol ... looks good dude

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ, I actually decided on 4.56 instead, but either way, I'm excited!! I hope it ships soon. Marlin said about 2 weeks. I've got the gears already!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ, I actually decided on 4.56 instead, but either way, I'm excited!! I hope it ships soon. Marlin said about 2 weeks. I've got the gears already!!

Did you go with the 4.56's so you don't have to grind some teeth on the ring gear? No matter - your KJ is turning into a killer Jeep.

I didn't realize what was involved with the 4.88's until tjkj2002 posted something a while ago about grinding teeth down for clearance. :shakehead:

Bob

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go with the 4.56's so you don't have to grind some teeth on the ring gear? No matter - your KJ is turning into a killer Jeep.

I didn't realize what was involved with the 4.88's until tjkj2002 posted something a while ago about grinding teeth down for clearance. :shakehead:

Bob

Nahh because I don't know how long it'll be until I've got my 33's in there, so I figured I'll get these for now

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruce, gonna bring this one back to the top. Do you have any pics of inside wheel wells with all the "stuff" gone? I'd love to see what's left!

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce, gonna bring this one back to the top. Do you have any pics of inside wheel wells with all the "stuff" gone? I'd love to see what's left!

Bob

Not his but what they look like with inner liner gone
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

I can take some when I get back to San Antonio, Bob. I'm currently in Houston for work, but I'll be back later tonight. Mine dont look anything near as bad as Wildmans, the ones Tom posted. I'll be putting in some HDPE to cover larger gapped areas, but for now, it's not hideous, and there's no issues

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's two I've got in my phone right now. Honestly it's so black you can't see much of anything except my uca, everything has been cleaned and painted

Last edited: