my engine light came on too today, quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so of course now that im back from my trip and fixing all the small things i wore out, the check engine light just came on. I get p0837 transfer case position switch, and p0442 small emissions leak.

-ive heard the transfer case sensor is very common but so far ive had no errors in the 4wd lights. Im not using 4wd right now will it mess anything to drive it like this until i order the part?

-is there anything in the emissions to replace on a gasser or do i just clean it all out with some seafoam and deep creep?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
442 can be the fuel cap,or a small hole-crack in one of the emission lines.Some have found a crack in line at the fuel tank.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your evap canister in front of your gas tank.. i had the same code and found that the hose on the canister was dried out and cracked.. kept throwing the code. fixed it with some duct tape and we're good to go.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so of course now that im back from my trip and fixing all the small things i wore out, the check engine light just came on. I get p0837 transfer case position switch, and p0442 small emissions leak.

-ive heard the transfer case sensor is very common but so far ive had no errors in the 4wd lights. Im not using 4wd right now will it mess anything to drive it like this until i order the part?

-is there anything in the emissions to replace on a gasser or do i just clean it all out with some seafoam and deep creep?

On the 0837, you can have that code if the transfer case sensor has ever had an error. For instance, my tcase position sensor breaks and fixes itself everytime I go wheeling. Right now it is currently "fixed" but I'm throwing an 0837 because my last trip out the indicator lights were all reversed. :mad:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twack dude, try a little vaseline on the gas cap o-ring for the P0442. The only problem I can forsee with the P0837 is the BCM not knowing enough to change the engine timing curve when in 4lo. There's a mechanical connection between the lever and the case. As long as YOU know where it is, who cares what the lights say. What the he!! did we ever do before idiot lights showed up on the dash???

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the he!! did we ever do before idiot lights showed up on the dash???

we were happy as long as it ran, damn technology. now they got drive by wire!!! looks like ill drive something from 05 or older for the rest of my life