My Custom Renegade Cross Rails and More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to get a roof rack right before Christmas. Found the one I wanted on amazon and ordered it. It is a Curt and it seems to be very high quality. The main reason I got the rack was because I bought a bike rack a few months back without checking to see if it would clear the spare tire. Of course when I went to mount it it wasn't even close. My solution was to go and get a hitch extension. With the extension the rack now worked...but wobbled around way more then I wanted(about 4" anyway it was moved) and I still could not open the door more then 4". So I finally said screw it and bought the rack, I can now throw my spare up top and use my bike rack without the extension and I can even open the hatch 80% of the way with the bike rack folded down. Anyways, I had some spare angle steel in my garage and that is what I decided to use for my cross rails. Took me about 3 days to build and $30. All I bought were 2 2" pvc couplings and 4 U-Bolts. I cut my Steel down to the lengths I wanted it, measure everything out, drilled my holes, cut my couplings and mounted everything. Once it was where I liked it I pulled it all back apart and primed and painted using Bedliner paint. (It sounds simple when typing it out...yet I got very frustrated many times and it took me 2 full days to complete...) I am 100% happy with how it turned out. Finished it all up last weekend and this weekend I decided to change my front brake pads, front and rear diff fluids, 5 tire rotation and some other stuff. Also decided to repaint some stuff while I was at it. Here are some pictures of the work in my garage.

Cross Bars with U-Bolts and Couplings
You must be registered for see images attach

New Reverse Lights

Rear Diff. Cover

Front Skid

Spare Tire Bracket in Bedliner Paint

Done

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks very nice! How does the roof rack sound at highway speed? I really want one myself for gear on fishing trips and to hold a couple lights. I bought some really crappy cross bars on ebay for cheap, but they are very noisy and I'm not happy with them.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks very nice! How does the roof rack sound at highway speed? I really want one myself for gear on fishing trips and to hold a couple lights. I bought some really crappy cross bars on ebay for cheap, but they are very noisy and I'm not happy with them.
The only noise I hear from the entire thing is from where the actual stock rail meets the roof. It is a tiny groan. Cant hear it on the highway though, only at low speeds. The Renegade light bar already makes the wind noise worse then a stock liberty but with the roof rack it still sounds the same to me.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes your rear hitch? Haven't got one and i'm in the market. It mounts up pretty neat out of the way.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks, just ordered one last night with a clevis bar at the end similar to yours for moving the ice shack.

Guess that and the skids will get added next week.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the basket on amazon. Should come up if you type in roof basket by curt.

And my front shackles are attatched to the front tow loops that came on the truck. Guess it was towed behind a rv by the last owner