My clunking and popping remedy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Turns out it's not the rack and pinion, it's not the LCA bushings, it's not the CV axles, it's not the upper or lower ball joints, it's not the tie rod ends, and it's not the spring or upper strut mount.

it's the clevis mount where it bolts to the lower control arm..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

and to think I almost spent 270 for a rack and pinion and another 450 for installation.. HAH. These bushings are a dealer only item, and cost 18 bucks a piece.

so if you're clunking, and can't figure out why, check this!

Midgear

Reaction score
phux I hope not. mabey a couple slaps with a hammer will get it out, and just wedge the new one in there and tap it in. I hate crap that's pressed together notcool.gif

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Those bushings are tight,real tight,a press is probably the correct way to remove them. Have played with a ball joint press on the LCA bushings,no luck yet,thinking about cutting rubber from outer sleeve,then getting shell out.Don't know,it might work.

Midgear

Reaction score
well theres some ****** news lol.. guess a shop will have to do it, and after that, alignment.

they had to max out my camber adjustment just to straighten the wheel on that side, so fixing this bushing might over correct it and cause it to be outta whack again.. ya reckon?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well theres some ****** news lol.. guess a shop will have to do it, and after that, alignment.

they had to max out my camber adjustment just to straighten the wheel on that side, so fixing this bushing might over correct it and cause it to be outta whack again.. ya reckon?
The lower clevis bushing has nothing to do with your alignment.For what a shop will charge to change those it may be cheaper to buy brand new LCA's that already have all 3 bushings installed.

Midgear

Reaction score
so how do you replace the bushing..?

buy a press? smack it with a big ass hammer? let it clunk and pop? ask it nicely? eek2.gif

I just want my clunking to stop :(

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do you replace the bushing..?

buy a press? smack it with a big ass hammer? let it clunk and pop? ask it nicely? eek2.gif

I just want my clunking to stop :(
I had the same issue you had about 3 years ago,as well as the LCA mount bushings going bad(wheeling is ******* bushings).The price for the parts would have been $250,another $750 for labor.So I bought one clevis bushing and I actually bought the Miller tools made specifically for this job($200) and the tools broke in less then 30seconds and didn't even budge the bushing that had been soaking in PB Blaster for about a week.Got the refund for the tools and bought brand new LCA's and installed and aligned and all the problems went away.Now back then the LCA's where about $175 each,doubt there that cheap now.

Midgear

Reaction score
news just keeps getting better and better.. you'd think all you had to do was clamp the spring, jack it up, get the weight off the LCA, PB the bastard, unbolt the clevis, slap the shit outta the bushing, tap the new one in, bolt it up, success.

That's how I'm gonna go about it anyways. If I break anything I'll letcha know.

Last edited:

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50/50 mixture of trans fluid & acetone has been proven superior to any product available on the market.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.