My 3.7 she goes"ticka ticka tick."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you oldcarguy! No engine should make a tick even on cold start. Ticking means excessive clearance somewhere, and in saying that, that means excessive wear on these vital parts. Now I am a licenced mechanic by trade....have been for 20 odd years now, and engine ticking is never good. I haven't turned wrenches for awhile, but still , my training tells me this ticking noise is not right.headscratch.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you oldcarguy! No engine should make a tick even on cold start. Ticking means excessive clearance somewhere, and in saying that, that means excessive wear on these vital parts. Now I am a licenced mechanic by trade....have been for 20 odd years now, and engine ticking is never good. I haven't turned wrenches for awhile, but still , my training tells me this ticking noise is not right.headscratch.gif
When you have hydraulic parts in the engine you will have a tick noise until the parts get filled with oil,they do not retain there oil and will drian down and need to be refilled when started again,that is where the noise comes from.Also the timing chain tensioners in our 3.7 is also hydrualicly adjusted,so those will make noise when first started.When really cold out it takes longer for the oil pump to distribute oil to all the right places.I have been turning wrenches for a long time,built hundreds of engines,am ASE certified,so I'm aware of how the engines work,what is normal and what is not.

If the valve lash adjuster is defective it would not retain the oil and could be noisy on start up until oil pressure replaces the leaked oil.
They all will leak down.Only if you have solid parts will you avoid this,then you really want to hear some noises get solid lifters.

No engine should make a tick even on cold start.
They all do,just some companies use insulation to mask the noise.It's a normal thing and there is nothing that can be done unless you put in pnumatic valve train.

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine Ticking

The 3.7 in my Liberty did it the first night I cranked it up after I bought it. It now has in excess of 53,000 miles and still running fine. I agree it is a bother and will make you take notice. It seems to only do it when it is cool outside though. After a minute or so it goes away.

My first thought when I heard it was "Oh No, Not a bad engine" I find it hard to believe it is normal. Every other engine I've had in a vehicle broke something when it started making noise.