MUST I get these things done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am kinda shocked that dealer brought these up now..

- Emissions / Fuel Injection svc $179
- Winter / Coolant etc.. svc $110
- Full transmission svc $199

What's the big deal with these? are there any alternatives, I am already getting the oil change, 16 point inspection as well as state inspection/emmision done. The expenses are killing me. :-& I told them i will have to reschedule for these things. notcool.gif

2003KJ

Reaction score
um no, no and no.

This is a textbook example of the dealer trying to screw you.

Emissions wise, if the CEL is off, you're probably fine.

Just make sure you're coolant/antifreeze is topped off and you should be good for the winter.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. And I will check the antifreeze and coolant levels when I pick it up. If I don't see where they are, I will report back and ask for help. Thanks again.

CEL came up about two weeks ago, and went off.. I asked them to check it out.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Tim said, just top off your coolant. I like to change it every three years, but I assume it's only been two years for you. Plus forget everything else.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Like Tim said, just top off your coolant. I like to change it every three years, but I assume it's only been two years for you. Plus forget everything else.

3 yrs for me.
got my boy on Nov 03

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Grr. My dealer started doing this crap, they didn't before.

May I ask how my transmission fluid is brown in 20k miles, and I just checked it YESTERDAY and it's pink?

Nope, nothing else either. Just change my oil. ](*,)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They told me the same thing when I fell for the differential crap. They said it may blow if you never take care of it and get this done.. I fell for it and said do it, i gues that was something I couldn't do myself.

As for transmission, how can I check for damage/wear/tear ets.. ****** is really bangy these days.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
They told me the same thing when I fell for the differential crap. They said it may blow if you never take care of it and get this done.. I fell for it and said do it, i gues that was something I couldn't do myself.

As for transmission, how can I check for damage/wear/tear ets.. ****** is really bangy these days.

OM calls for the diffs every 12k, tcase and ****** every 30k.

I wouldnt let them do anything they were trying to do.

If you just drive the libby daily with now towing or offroading, I wouldnt see a problem with doing the diffs every 30k with the ****** and tcase. O:)

Just check the antifreeze and top it off as needed. Be sure to use the right stuff!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will get these things done next time I visit the dealer at 32k.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes I completely forgot to say to make sure you get the proper coolant...get the orange stuff...NOT the green stuff. It's a tad more expensive, but A) It came from the factory with the orange stuff (Dex-cool i believe its called) and B) Dex-cool protects better, lasts longer to against breakdown than the traditional green stuff.

And be sure to check it AND add if necessary when the engine is COLD. This way you get the most accurate reading.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a Grand Cherokee with 125k miles on it. He's never changed any of the fluids (such as differential, etc.) He just did the first full brake job on it (new everything). Interesting huh?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i picked it up, i will check the fluid levels and go buy the stuff you mentioned. I think howto section has the details on this.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.