Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAndrew93

Reaction score
They bolts holding on my muffler broke so I took it out so it wouldn't raddle around. Is that bad for the motor to run without it? Should I just put it back on or put an out of market one on? I've heard of people getting they're mufflers hollowed out, is that a good alternative? :shrug:

Input is greatly appreciated, thanks

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of debate on this topic but here is what I found is the general consensus. Use a muffler but which is your choice depending on how loud/droning/expensive you want.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no noise reduction at all, it's kinda like strapping a huge sign on front and back; "COPS STOP ME!!!!". The louder it is, the more attention you'll attract. At least 1/2 the attention you attract will be unwanted, the rest won't get you laid.

"Hollowing out" the muffler??? Not been practical since the old tin can style of the 20's and 30's, you probably don't even know anyone who ever heard one.

If you actually want some sound without major consequences go for a Magnaflow. Second (long way down the list) option would be a flowmaster knockoff. Knockoffs are just as good without the added expense of all that advertisement.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with czarkj you should have a muffler. Past that which one is up to you and your wallet. Magnaflow thrush mbrp or the one i am running flowmaster there are many more out there. They all have their pros and cons. Magnaflow is stainless and gives a nice subtle rumble. Flowmaster is loud to some people. Thrush is cheap.

Here is my sound from the back and then the from the hood.

http://youtu.be/XS8R-MBxVi8

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for whatever it's worth, I agree that Thrush is cheap hence why i threw one on mine about a year ago. I was thinking I would swap to a magnaflow if it turned out to be really bad. Turns out the sound is great, no drone and it serves its purpose for a great price. I'd definitely get a thrush again if I need to swap it out in a couple more years.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thrush is pretty hard to beat at that price point. People say flowmaster is way over priced this maybe so but if you do the work yourself it is still alot cheaper than any shop would charge.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh,, I actually thought the original post was a crank. I mean unless you're in northern North Dakota or something and only drive down to walmart once a year. A no muffler situation won't hurt the engine. But it will hurt your ears. People will laugh at you. When you park it in town, little kids will run up with sharp pointy sticks and poke you. Depends on your self esteem I guess

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhh,, I actually thought the original post was a crank. I mean unless you're in northern North Dakota or something and only drive down to walmart once a year. A no muffler situation won't hurt the engine. But it will hurt your ears. People will laugh at you. When you park it in town, little kids will run up with sharp pointy sticks and poke you. Depends on your self esteem I guess

:happy175:

Seriously though, agreed that you have to have something on there.

Another option: Dynomax/Walker has all flavors of mufflers at decent prices. I have an Dyno Ultraflo welded on my Ranger and it has a real nice tone.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cap, you either live a really sheltered life,,,,or, they's a LOT different kind a rednecks in TN to what they is in Arkansaw!

Bob

Fango925

Reaction score
I have a thrush, and it's great rumble sound at lower RPM's, and it's drowned out by the tires at highway speeds. Great for the price.