Muffler delete thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still kinda new to this car thing lol family were never really car people so I teach myself and an questions, what do you mean by straight 6 not v6?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight 6 - 6 cylinder engine, all cylinders in a straight line

V6 - 6 cylinder engine, 3 cylinders on one side and 3 on the other, shaped like a V with the crankshaft at the bottom of V

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still kinda new to this car thing lol family were never really car people so I teach myself and an questions, what do you mean by straight 6 not v6?

Many older cars and trucks came with straight 6 cylinders. Put a split manifold on them and they would talk to ya. These V-6s do not have a good sound if you run without the muffler etc, just noise makers and irritating noise makers at that.
I love a good sounding exhaust , but running mufflerless on these KJs is not a good sound to the ears.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything louder than Super 44s sound terrible IMO
It’s just on the verge of being too much for me when cruising down the highway and I could not imagine how annoying it’d be with no muffler
I heard what it sounded like when I was changing mine out.. loud but did not sound good at all
Now, if these had the 5.7 it’d be a completely different story obviously (my Challenger has full straight pipes with the 5.7 Wow1.gif ) but I’d still run at most the 44s on these, nothing louder

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly like the stock setup the best. I think it sounds nice at idle and is quiet while driving.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if a man was to go a new system from front to back, what would be the dream system for the 3.7?
Sean.

I like the Borla catback dual system I had on my 02. Nice rumble at idle and then a healthy roar when you got into it. :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran a Flowmaster knockoff for a while, drone was so bad that you couldn't talk to anyone with you at highway speed
Switched to a REAL Flowmaster, was worse than the knockoff after about 5-6000 miles. Switched it for a Magnaflow, great sound, no droning ran it for over 150,000 miles.
The 03 is needing new, still stock exhaust but muffler is starting to go but may just go back stock , its nice to be able to " sneak " around.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between a hollow sound chamber muffler and a glass filled one is huge
Mangaflow has always been my go-to for that reason. Plus they offer it in stainless too

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a Flowmaster knockoff for a while, drone was so bad that you couldn't talk to anyone with you at highway speed
Switched to a REAL Flowmaster, was worse than the knockoff after about 5-6000 miles. Switched it for a Magnaflow, great sound, no droning ran it for over 150,000 miles.
The 03 is needing new, still stock exhaust but muffler is starting to go but may just go back stock , its nice to be able to " sneak " around.

Agreed... my stock 03 muffler is splitting at the seams, it's annoying and louder than I like.. not police-notifying loud, but it's still horrible.

I'll be putting a stock OE style replacement on. There is no reason for me to need additional airflow on a stock 3.7l. I like a quiet vehicle. Especially a v6... very few v6 engines sound good with no muffler.

I miss how quiet my 94 Grand Marquis was... floated like a couch on wheels and was as quiet as a church.

JeepKid37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the liberty's have 2 cats. I was considering cutting it right before the cats and doing a dual exhaust straight pipe. And yes there's enough room.