"Most important" for wheeling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming they all cost around the same (approx. $600), what will give the best enhancement from bone stock: New tires, 2.5" lift, or full skids? I can't do all of them, but I want the best off-road ability for the money. Which of those choices are the best to start with?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skids - wheels and lift just get you into more areas that'll damage your vehicle worse. Need to protect it first.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming they all cost around the same (approx. $600), what will give the best enhancement from bone stock: New tires, 2.5" lift, or full skids? I can't do all of them, but I want the best off-road ability for the money. Which of those choices are the best to start with?

This is the kj standard operating procedure order ;):^o.

1. skids - always protection first
2. lift - to fit larger tires
3. tires - MT tires are the best for off-road
4. lockers - They say it works the best for improving off-road performance so you may want to do this before lift or tires. I hope to get this sometime this year.

There is really no correct order since one size does not really fit all but a little planning now depending on what your goals are will definitely help. Skids should always be first because you definitely need protection if you plan to go off road. If you go with OEM skids you are looking in the $200 - $300US range.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote would be skids. It doesn't matter how high you go or how gnarly your tires are, all it takes is coming down ******* one high spot to ruin your day:
You must be registered for see images attach

And this was on a KJ with an SFA conversion (around 8" of lift).

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. It appears the popular vote is skids. Can most of them simply be bolted right in place, or do they generally require drilling/welding/etc.?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. It appears the popular vote is skids. Can most of them simply be bolted right in place, or do they generally require drilling/welding/etc.?
If you get the Mopar skids they will come with the required hardware. The engine skid is the only one that has the nuts already in the frames, the rest need nut-serts (nut inserts) or something else to attach them. Not sure if any of the aftermarket companies supply those or if they are even needed for their units.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, the skids from skidrow look great, but are easily 2x more expensive than the skids at Jparts. Are they really that different? The information offered at Jparts is minimal at best (it says "constructed of heavy gauge steel", doesn't say what thickness) whereas skidrow gives full descriptions and photographs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skids and hooks first. Then go from there.

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket are usually beefer, but IMO unless you plan on going nuts, Mopar work great and are the cheapest.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as others have said
skids and hooks
then ,lift ,tires and lockers

I would get all the skids from J-parts and the ****** skid from Skidrow
I saw a stock or OE ****** skid trashed after 1 mild ride
I fabbed up/had fabbed my own ****** skid for around $100-$150
I offered several times to have 5+ built but would need some cash up front
nothing has ever happened