moog lbj instead of original

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlomencucci

Reaction score
I have an 06 liberty and would like to have the lower ball joints replaced with the moog greaseable ball joints. I would pay for the labor because they are after market items. I called two local jeep dealers and both service managers said the same thing: The recall has to be done first. They explained to me the original joints will be pressed out, the factory replacements would be pressed in and the knuckles would be put back on. The liberty would than be considered safe to comply with the recall. Then the jeep would be tacken apart again and the moogs put in. I will be paying the labor for all of this. Has anyone gone through this? I have had a service manager and two different mechanics tell me the new ball joints are the same exact item as the original. The difference is on the original the top cap over the ball was pressed on without a silicone seal and the replacements have the seal. They also stated that the replacement will eventually fail because they can't be greased and the moog's are better because of this. Any added info would be helpfull.
Thanks.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the Jeep to your local mechanic and stay away from the dealer. The labor rate is cheaper and he will be able to just install the MOOGs so don't have to pay two labor bills.

carlomencucci

Reaction score
I don't have to pay labor if I just do the recall. I have to pay labor if I have them put the moog's in. That labor charge will include the time they spend pressing in the dc replacement ball joints, reassembling the jeep and declaring it a safe vehicle than taking it all apart again. I will be paying for the time it takes to press in there ball joints and reassemble it for nothing. The service managers told me the labor charge would be around $140.
thanks.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a paper in the MOOG site that explains the problem with the Jeep design. Has nothing to do with seals, it's an inherit problem with the LBJ taper and how it fits in the Jeep. It leaves a nice moat around the ball joint that allows dirt and water to be picked up as the ball joint moves.

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just get the mopar LBJ's installed under the recall all for free, then go to a different dealer another time and have them put your new ones in. instead of paying the labor for that one dealer to put the mopar ones in and taking them back out

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like RAYMAN said, the new LBJ aren't going to fall out anytime soon. When they do go put in the MOOGs. I have the greasable MOOG uppers on Al's upper arms, he is going to make a non lift upper in the near future.