Modifying Hazard / Blinker relay for LED turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Waddy

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a photo of the inside of the hazard / blinker relay assembly in my 2005 Jeep Liberty. I'm pretty sure that silver rectangular shaped piece of metal controls the blinkers going into hyper blink mode if a bulb burns out, or in my situation, if there are LED blinker lights. I want to avoid having to add resistors at every LED light and think perhaps replacing this metal piece with the right resistor or diode may keep the blinkers in normal blink time even with LED blinker lights. I am also hoping that one of you knows enough about this to tell me if this is possible, and what specific resistor or diode can replace this metal piece and get the job done. Thanks.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that silver rectangular piece with the blue nub is the actual button to engage hazards.

I'd say you need a resistor added to the built in relays.

William Waddy

Reaction score
I know that is the switch. Sorry for my inaccurate description. I am referring to the M shaped metal piece just behind the ********* receptacle and in front of the two white cubes. I tried a 3A 50V diode as per info on another forum for a different vehicle and relay, but that did not work. When I put a straight wire in place of this piece the blinkers come on but do not blink at all.

William Waddy

Reaction score
My 0.1 ohm 3 watt resistor finally arrived from BD Micro. I removed the "M" metal component and replaced it with the resistor. Hyperflash is gone and I have a normal blink rate. Yahoo!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool! And thanks to you, lots of others who go the LED route will know what to do.

William Waddy

Reaction score
Cool! And thanks to you, lots of others who go the LED route will know what to do.

I was really jazzed when it actually worked. I would have posted a finished photo but after all my soldering trying various fixes it was pretty ugly, even though it did work. I replaced my front blinker and running lights with a couple of LED buttons, and replaced the rear light assemblies with after-market Assemblies that use LED lights.

lazychris2000

Reaction score
Just curious, now that it's been a year, have you had any problems with the mod?
Also, do you know if this will cause any issues if you have to swap in a standard incandescent bulb?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.