Mobil1 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have given up trying to get Amsoil down here, it's just ridiculous what I would have to go through, so I've decided to go with Mobil1. I know a lot of you guys have said you really like it but I was wondering which one you suggest given what is best for Mr. Darcy and our conditions? I am still planning on switching to synthetic and I want to go with one of their high end ones. The website says Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30, just an FYI.

Also, what do you guys think of their oil filters? For the sake of my analysis experiment I was going to go with the amsoil oil and filter so I figured I should do the same with mobil1, I just wanted to make sure it's a well received product.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mobil 1 filters are fine. 10W30 would work for you down there...

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome so the one their website recommended is the one I want to go with. I've got to wait one or two paychecks but in the meantime I'll be narrowing down my decision on the filter as well. My instincts are to go with the mobil1 filter but as always I am open to suggestions!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use mobile 1 extended performance and a regular wix filter. i do a change every 5k miles.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I like both the Mobil1 High Mileage Synthetic and Mobil1 filter.

bigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally get the mobile one when on sale at advance auto. It comes with either a k&n, bosch or mobil 1 filter. Depending on the sale. You save around $40 if you catch the sale!

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Mobil 1 in my Jeep and my 63 Ford Falcon primarly since I owned them. I have tried Royal Purple in the Jeep and Motorcraft in the Ford. But for the most part Mobile 1... And really I am going to use it for now on.

As for Filters.. On a filter test site the Mobile 1 and K&N Oil Filters are nearly identicle. They flow well but they dont filter well.. This is really a mute point if you change oil when you should. If I remember right Fram did better in filtering than those 2..But from what I can read the Wix is one of the best you can buy and really a fraction of what K&N and Mobil 1 cost. I got my last one at O'Riley's but other places sale them, in Hawaii the Don Quote sales them (like a K-Mart type store)..It was less than $10 for the Wix and was like $15 for the Mobil 1 / K&N..

Plenty of threads on using Amsoil but I think running an oil beyond the recommend oil change of what the owners manual says is asking for trouble. Use whatever oil you want, just follow the MX schedule of the Owners Manual.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your projected oil change interval with mobile 1?

the filters are good and made for mobile by champion labs.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use mobil 1 from walmart. usually $23 for 5 quart jug. Not sure if that's the EP or not. Then I go to NAPA and get the NAPA gold filter which is WIX.

I used Amsoil for a while a couple years ago. The first thing I noticed when I switched to mobile1 is that I heard a lot more top end noise on startup. With amsoil I heard practically no noise at all. Just the regular ticking these 3.7s usually have.

edit: I'm thinking not the EP. well, better be more awake next time I go.

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Liberty only has 30K on the meter. But I change the oil about every 6 months., it dont get driven much. When I was in NC, the nearest Napa store was like 20 mils away. I dscovered OReily's had Wix, also Advantage sold Wix.
I have used regular Mobil 1 and Extended Performance Mobile 1. Sometimes Walmart was out of regular Mobil 1 5W30. Still changed very 6 months regardless. Probably could squeek by and do oil once a year but figure to error on the safe side.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally get the mobile one when on sale at advance auto. It comes with either a k&n, bosch or mobil 1 filter. Depending on the sale. You save around $40 if you catch the sale!

I don't think we have sales here! Our local store did turn into an Advance Auto though so maybe I'll keep my eyes open extra wide the next week or two just in case.

I have used Mobil 1 in my Jeep and my 63 Ford Falcon primarly since I owned them. I have tried Royal Purple in the Jeep and Motorcraft in the Ford. But for the most part Mobile 1... And really I am going to use it for now on.

As for Filters.. On a filter test site the Mobile 1 and K&N Oil Filters are nearly identicle. They flow well but they dont filter well.. This is really a mute point if you change oil when you should. If I remember right Fram did better in filtering than those 2..But from what I can read the Wix is one of the best you can buy and really a fraction of what K&N and Mobil 1 cost. I got my last one at O'Riley's but other places sale them, in Hawaii the Don Quote sales them (like a K-Mart type store)..It was less than $10 for the Wix and was like $15 for the Mobil 1 / K&N..

Plenty of threads on using Amsoil but I think running an oil beyond the recommend oil change of what the owners manual says is asking for trouble. Use whatever oil you want, just follow the MX schedule of the Owners Manual.

I have the K&N filter in right now but I haven't done any oil changes or analyses so I don't have any opinion other than Mr. Darcy is running great so nothing detrimental!

what is your projected oil change interval with mobile 1?

the filters are good and made for mobile by champion labs.

My plan for the interval is to start at 4,000 miles but rather than a change do an analysis and then if the quality is still good retest every 1,000 miles until I get to the mileage recommended by the "guarantee" that mobil 1 has, which I honestly can't come up with right now. Been a long day :yawn:

I use mobil 1 from walmart. usually $23 for 5 quart jug. Not sure if that's the EP or not. Then I go to NAPA and get the NAPA gold filter which is WIX.

I used Amsoil for a while a couple years ago. The first thing I noticed when I switched to mobile1 is that I heard a lot more top end noise on startup. With amsoil I heard practically no noise at all. Just the regular ticking these 3.7s usually have.

edit: I'm thinking not the EP. well, better be more awake next time I go.

I really appreciate this information on the oil comparisons! Unfortunately, I have done the research and I can't find any way to get Amsoil so it's either the best Mobil 1 I can find or one of the generic brands they carry down here.

When it comes down to it, no matter how much help and research goes into a decision, it all comes down to what is being shipped in. I am completely at the mercy of my isolation so we'll just see what happens!

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with Mobil 1, I had a service contract when I bought the Jeep, and for 5 years the dealer only put Mobil 1 ESP 5-30 full syn in; when I started servicing it myself (limited) I used Mobil 1 full syn Turbo Diesel 0-40. Goes well, quiet, seems to stay pretty clean. I order mine through Amazon - over here it's free delivery, and its about £10-£15 cheaper than I can get it at the local branch of the national chain (Halfords) - that's when they have it at all!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the K&N filter in right now but I haven't done any oil changes or analyses so I don't have any opinion other than Mr. Darcy is running great so nothing detrimental!

My plan for the interval is to start at 4,000 miles but rather than a change do an analysis and then if the quality is still good retest every 1,000 miles until I get to the mileage recommended by the "guarantee" that mobil 1 has, which I honestly can't come up with right now. Been a long day :yawn:
From what I read, the K&N and the Mobil 1 oil filters are pretty much the same filter with a different casing.

4K miles on Mobil 1 EP is a waste. At 4K mile oil change intervals, you might as well use the Mobil Super conventional oil. Plenty good enough for those few miles. You should at least extend your drain intervals to 7500 miles on the Mobil 1 EP and then get a analysis done.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The research I found led me to the opinion that the M1/K&N filters are the most effective filters without causing excessive flow restriction.
So there are more effective filters, but they reduce oil flow.

I'm curious if the highly humid climates have more problems with water contamination in oil...

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago at O'Reilys I bought 5qt jug of Valvoline full sythentic 5W30 and a M1 filter for $30, plus a $7 mail in rebate. Limit was two 5 quart and two filters. $23 for 5 qts full synhetic and a M1 filter. I thought this was a great deal.
My opinion, unless you are racing, doing some extreme off roading or driving in extreme temp conditions look for the best deals and go with it. Change about every 4K miles. End of story.

DJ

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I read, the K&N and the Mobil 1 oil filters are pretty much the same filter with a different casing.

4K miles on Mobil 1 EP is a waste. At 4K mile oil change intervals, you might as well use the Mobil Super conventional oil. Plenty good enough for those few miles. You should at least extend your drain intervals to 7500 miles on the Mobil 1 EP and then get a analysis done.

Thanks for the filter info, and I will definitely consider waiting a few more miles before I do my first analysis.

The research I found led me to the opinion that the M1/K&N filters are the most effective filters without causing excessive flow restriction.
So there are more effective filters, but they reduce oil flow.

I'm curious if the highly humid climates have more problems with water contamination in oil...

I never thought about the humidity here affecting the oil. When I start doing the analyses I will definitely keep my eye out for that!

Two weeks ago at O'Reilys I bought 5qt jug of Valvoline full sythentic 5W30 and a M1 filter for $30, plus a $7 mail in rebate. Limit was two 5 quart and two filters. $23 for 5 qts full synhetic and a M1 filter. I thought this was a great deal.
My opinion, unless you are racing, doing some extreme off roading or driving in extreme temp conditions look for the best deals and go with it. Change about every 4K miles. End of story.

DJ

I wish they had deals like that down here! We have 2 automotive stores here and I don't think I've ever seen a sale at either one. As far as the extreme temp conditions, between the temps and driving conditions I would consider St. Thomas pretty extreme. Steep hills, no highways, bad roads, you'll rarely see 40mph, and that's just what I can spit out before my kale burns!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dino Base on Regular Mobil 1 Troy?????
The regular Mobil one & EP spec sheets both state Synthetic base stock.
Link Regular Mobil 1:http://imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-30.pdf
Link Extended Performance:http://imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_EP.pdf

I suppose he means they use Group III base stocks which are 'hydrocracked' ...dino oil, nowadays called
'synthetic' :shrug: :favorites68:.

FWIW i'd put MC 5W-30 syn blend and call it a day... (about to change my sig accordingly..)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Jeep sat for 2 days and with only 1800 miles on the current Mobil1 Synthetic and K&N filter, it was like WTF??.. Jeeze this oil on dipstick is a dirty brown.
42317[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe it is time to replace the PCV valve or something.
Maybe the synthetic is cleaning the motor out too well ?
Anyways, I changed the oil & filter and Jeep Is happy again.
Next time if it gets dirty by 1800 miles I think I am going to get oil analysis done.

Attachments

• Goofy.jpg
    Goofy.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: