Misfire count real time on scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to watch the misfire count on a cylinder real time. Can't find it on my obdII scanner. Call the scanner manu and was told it is car specific. Is this true? I have a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7 Has anyone ever ever done this? Is it true Chrysler didn't build the entire OBDII monitoring into the computer?
Thanks.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not true the chrysler scan tool (i believe the drb) can detect misfire counts per cylinder.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The snap on Modis Ultra In pic below and other pro scanners can read the misfire count no problem.
You do have to select the particular vehicle first.
54131[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Jeep%20OBD%20Scan4.jpg
    Jeep%20OBD%20Scan4.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our SnapOn Solus Ultra reads anything you'd want... Really depends on how deep your pockets are or how good of friends you have if you want to get into the high dollar scanners. I've heard good things about the Genesis scanners also. The Solus Ultra is similar to the Modis listed above, touch screen and all the wing-dings you'd want out of a professional scanner.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it doesn't matter if your scanner is $2 or $2000. If the jeep computer doesn't provide this info then you wont get it. My point is, my scan tool provides this information on other cars, just not on the jeep. I was told it was car-specific - meaning (I think) the misfire information capturing by cylinder has to be built into the car's computer. I am trying to determine if anyone has ever captured this from a 2007 Liberty 3.7? Is there a reason I am not getting this on the 2005?

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it doesn't matter if your scanner is $2 or $2000. If the jeep computer doesn't provide this info then you wont get it. My point is, my scan tool provides this information on other cars, just not on the jeep. I was told it was car-specific - meaning (I think) the misfire information capturing by cylinder has to be built into the car's computer. I am trying to determine if anyone has ever captured this from a 2007 Liberty 3.7? Is there a reason I am not getting this on the 2005?

No offense but it does matter with manufacturer support on the scanner end. That's why those $60 auto zone scanners will only tell you so much and that's why my shops Solus scanner will play with every single little option you could think of. Harnessing the potential a vehicles software has is not by any means cheap. Go buy a GM Tech II and let me know what the price is.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does matter how much your scanner costs compared to how much you can read and display.Any vehicle made since '96 has a misfire counter,it's up to the code puller/scanner maker to broker a deal with said car company's to gain access to that info_Only so much OBDII pids and info has to be accessed by any scanner by federal law,how much your scanner can read directly relates to any deals brokered by the scanner maker and the car company(which is factored into the price,more $$$ paid more access).

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Finally a definitive answer! I assumed that but was lead astray by someone who said it was car specific (some cars give that info and some don't). Now I can go out and purchase the right one. Can anyone recommend a (non-commercial) brand that will provide this exact info on a 2005 Liberty 3.7?

Members online

No members online now.