Mini MP3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I changed out the 6 disk changer to accommodate the RB4 navigation radio, and as a result lost the cd changer capability. Oh the trade-offs we must bear!

I didn't want to use up any additional interior space for either the oem or aftermarket changers, so when I found this little automotive MP3 player the problem was mostly solved.

Mostly, I say. Since it uses an FM modulator to broadcast to the Jeep radio the sound quality is not quite as good as the cd player, but when added to the engine music from my CRD, who cares? And FM broadcast meant I didn't need to contort myself to tie into the KJ radio antenna.

The unit costs $50 and is shipped from Montreal. Mine arrived by USPS in Colorado in 4 days. Another $70 for a 1GB flash drive from Best Buy and I now have the equivalent of a 34 disk changer. My advice is not to use a 1GB flash drive, since it makes it too hard to find what you want to listen to (there are now 362 tracks on my 1GB drive) .

It also has an audio in and audio out jack which allows you to add another MP3 player, iPOD, old cassette player, or even a microphone if you are a closet DJ. I thought the microphone might be useful when conducting a trail trip. The leader could "broadcast" directions, warnings, points-of-interest etc. to other KJers nearby, however I learned that the broadcast range is only about 40 feet. Maybe some kind of antenna mod might work hmmmm.

It has some other limitations too. It only likes MP3 format, gets confused if any files other than MP3 are on the drive, has no LCD display, and plays everything in series. In this case series means it only plays tracks in the order in which you loaded them. You can skip forward and back, but you cannot select a track 232 places from where you are without pressing skip 232 times (hence the recommendation not to use a 1GB drive).

I want to permanently connect it to a 12v source, rather than use the accessory outlet, but am not sure if the drain from the FM modulator may be too ******* the battery. I was disappointed to discover that the front accessory outlet is not switched, even though the KJ manual implies only the rear outlet is always live. Does anyone know if there is a switched 12v source easily accessible?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the reception clear on your radio, or do you have to fight static, and do you run into problems when you are in the city?

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set the modulator to 88.3. There is no commercial station using that in the area, and the reception is good - no static. Fort Collins is about 60 miles from Denver, and I haven't tried it yet in the great electronic wasteland. Will know more next week.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my iPod + iTrip FM transmitter mounted in a ProClip, and the random, playlist or whatever selection to have is very handy. No interference if tuned to non-active frequency like Melted says for his. But damn, 50 bucks vs. 400 bucks!

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for broadcasting directions, I would think CB and/or the PA on a CB radio would work pretty well :)

I like that setup, though, it's a nice idea to be able to play music right off a regular USB key...too bad there's no track title display for it, though...

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup! Immediately after I said the Anydrive would be nice for a trail trip, it struck me that no it wouldn't. A CB +/- a PA is the correct tool (D-uh).

Bought a 256M usb stick on Wednesday, and loaded 6 CDs on it. I also upped the sampling rate too (from 64kbps to 128kbps) It made a noticable difference in high frequency clipping. I was happy that the little rig was powerful enough, and the factory radio selective enough that at 88.3 MHz I heard no interference from Denver commercial FM stations at 88.5 and 89.2.

Here is the link to the distributor.

http://www.merconnet.com/index.php?cPath=38

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By sampling rate, do you mean the rate that they are recorded off the CDs?

Or did you just re-encode the mp3s from 64kbps to 128kbps?

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I created new MP3 files from the CD, but changed the sampling rate of the encoding software to 128kbps. I had used 64kbps previously, but noticed some high frequency clipping when playing them through the Anydrive unit. 64 kbps sounds OK when listening on my iRiver portable, but the Anydrive / RB4 radio combination seems a bit more particular.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, 128 is typically the standard for mp3 encoding. I like to encode at 160 or 192, usually, just to be sure to get everything. Memory / Storage is so cheap these days there's no reason to skimp on quality (back in the day I had a 32mb Rio mp3 player, I had to compress the crap out of songs to fit more than 5 on it.)