Mileage dropped off pretty bad lately....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powers978

Reaction score
Interesting thread. For those of you down in the south when it dips below about 25 degrees F (its been hovering around 14 degrees for the past couple of days) my tire pressure monitor chimes on and i have to fill them up. I also notice a huge milage difference on the highway on a route i travel daily. during the summer if i drag off of a truck i can pull in 23 MPG sometimes. now im lucky to break 18

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As temperature drops so does your tire pressure. Can be quite significant if they were filled in warmer temps. Conversely the tire pressure, if set at cold temp, will rise as outside air temps increase. I remember a criteria for test in chemistry of "standard temperature and pressure". You can measure a difference in pressure when you change your elevation above (or below) sea level.
It is quite normal for mpg to drop as temperatures drop. I normally during warm months run 18-19 and as the temp drops well below freezing it will drop back as low as 15, especially when the temp is sub zero.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marvel Mystery oil

Oooookkkkkk what does said mystery oil do? I take it you add to your fuel?

Its this oil they sell at the auto parts store that has been around for around 80 yrs. Its in a red bottle or can . It was really popular with military aircraft mechanics way back when. You can add it to either the crankcase or to your fuel or stall out your motor with it pouring it into the intake - like Sea Foam , let it sit, then crank it back up producing quite a smoke show ......I just simply added it to my fuel tank. It supposedly cleans the combustion chambers , lubes upper cylinders , guides etc. and cleans , lubes fuel system. It kind of looks like 3 in 1 oil -red in color. Its more of a cleaner when added to the crank case supposedly and can supposedly free up any sticky ticking lifters - I have never used it that way (crankcase)....I have always used it in my mowers in the gas for 25 yrs and my mowers run forever nicely even without scheduled plug changes... ............J

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love using seafoam in the gas oil intake and a little int the sparkplug holes. does miracles. But my snake oil of choice is engine restorer made by restore its the silver can that goes by how many cylinders you have.