METRA double-din KJ kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kriszilla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a heck of a find. I paid a lot more for the one I had. It's also nice to see another AppRadio3 user on here!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
nullptr: I'm assuming you used the Metra 70-6502 wiring harness adapter. Any hints or tips so I might avoid any mistakes?

I don't know if your HU does this, but I also need to find a reverse wire I can tap into to activate the backup camera. Anyone know where I'd find that baby?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Started the installation of mine today and...what a lot of cutting! How did you chop out all the unnecessary plastic in there? I've got an off-brand Dremel knockoff which will take me all summer at the rate I'm going. How did you do yours? I bought one of these this evening: Electric Body Saw . I was going to get a Sawzall but didn't see how I could fit it in there to get any work done.

Also: My Jeep has wires coming through the metal support plate in the back. How did you reroute those?

I had hoped to get it done today. Now I'm not so sure I can even get it done by tomorrow. I'm sure I'll think it was worth it once I'm done, but that Single-DIN unit is looking better all the time... :ROFLJest:

...I also need to find a reverse wire I can tap into to activate the backup camera. Anyone know where I'd find that baby?
Any help? I've read that it's a White/Green wire but I don't know where to look for it. I've got the power and video cable run from the rear license plate where the camera is. Now I just need to tap into a reverse wire so the camera comes on automatically when I shift into reverse. Where do I look for the wire to connect to? :mexsmoke:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The Electric Body Saw I linked to in my previous post worked like a charm. It literally took me five minutes, four of which were spent making sure there were no wires in the way before I made the cuts. I now have a new favorite tool. :D

As for the reverse sensor wire, I'm going to have one last look around and if I don't find it I will just leave extra wire tucked up under the dash for when I finally figure out which way it should go. I will likely be going back in there at some point to reconfigure the USB stuff and can do it then.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I may just run a wire back to the taillight and tap of off that. I'm very leery of messing around with a main wire bundle anywhere. Worst that can happen at the back end is I'd have to splice in a short length of wire. The closer to the end of the run the better - less of stuff that might be affected.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find the wire at the tail light -'note the color and stripe and see is you can find one like it up front then test it. The first place I would look is the shifter under the console. I'm guessing the switch that activates the back up lights is there.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds promising. In the meantime, I can always hit the camera button when I need to.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as an update, I also went ahead and purchased one of the other mounting kits from eBay. You know, the one's that are still $134 on Amazon with the radio mounting to the faceplate? Well, you can get them on eBay now for about $34...

And it's a direct faceplate swap.

Using the radio mounts from the Metra kit, you can just put the other kit's faceplate. This is great, because it has a storage cubby that is identical to stock and even re-uses the rubber mat piece. It also has better mounting clips and utilizes the screw in the cubby area to tighten it down.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as an update, I also went ahead and purchased one of the other mounting kits from eBay. You know, the one's that are still $134 on Amazon with the radio mounting to the faceplate? Well, you can get them on eBay now for about $34...

Using the radio mounts from the Metra kit, you can just put the other kit's faceplate. This is great, because it has a storage cubby that is identical to stock and even re-uses the rubber mat piece. It also has better mounting clips and utilizes the screw in the cubby area to tighten it down.

Do you have a link for the one on eBay? My Metra faceplate/cubby is just goofy - no screw to hold it in and the power outlet isn't held in very well. Other than that (and the fact I can't find a PID for Dash Command for my '03) I really like my setup.

Bob

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. My Metra kit hasn't had any issues, but for the price I wouldn't mind something better than the Metra. Mine has the screw in the cubby hole and the power outlet fits nice and tight. I did have an issue with one of the clips, but I used some pliers to bend it so it would grab the bezel better. I did notice my power outlet was on the opposite side, but I like it better anyways.
You must be registered for see images

TwoBob's, what pid are you trying to get? Let me take a guess with Trans temp? I have a couple different programs for my laptop (Autoenginuity Chrysler pack) that can possibly use to help you out. I've gotten my fuel pressure pid and a few others that way and finally got them to work on Torque. Had to do the conversion thing, but wiki explains it pretty good. There's also a writeup on one of the truck forums about how to convert the pid for whateber different apps call for

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the fuel economy portion of the Dash Command app to give me real data (amount of fuel in the tank, $'super mile, etc) - and so far I haven't found a trans temp PID either. That one would be great to have.

Seems DC used MAP instead of MAF sensors while most manufacturers had moved on to MAF (used to calculate fuel usage.)

Will the stuff you did for Torque translate for Dash Command? Appreciate your offer to help :waytogo:

Bob

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torque pids won't work on dash command I don't think but I can give them to you and you can try. When I tried dash command the map is the same as intake pressure. All the apps are going to use a calculated script for mpg. Dash command is the only one that let's you enter your vehicle weight, rolling resistance, tire size, Trans & final ratios, etc. Once you get all that entered in, fill your tank and go to where you enter your fuel capacity and enter how many gallons of fuel your tank holds and how many gallons you have in it. Will take a few times before you get it dialed in , but the app is "smart" enough to get it very accurate. I need to figure out how to get torque to mirror on my hu

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love some pids as well i get alot of info from dash command but there is much more potential.

ixianjeep

Reaction score

Do you have any pictures for comparison? Also who did you buy from on ebay?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a comparison...

The first one is the stock METRA kit's faceplate.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the faceplate from the other kit, ignoring it's crappy paintjob. Note that I was wrong, it's not a pure drop-in replacement, I need to pull it and lower the 'rear' of the stereo down some so that it sits right in the faceplate. Right now I can't open it to put in a CD, which I discovered by somewhere in the middle of Tennessee where the only radio stations I could get were gospel stations. :blah:
You must be registered for see images attach

It's hard to tell, but the new faceplate is using the rubber anti-skid mat from the stock faceplate. I've also replaced the power port with two 3 amp USB ports.