METRA double-din KJ kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody has been selling these an Amazon (and maybe elsewhere) for about a year. It's on my wish list. Those were about $135. I can't find any price for this, but apparently Metra decided there was a market for them and jumped in.

EDIT: Saw that you already knew about the Amazon part. I must be going blind... :blah:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep!

Ordered one from SonicElectronix for, get this, $31.99

The last Metra kit I used was pretty decent, it'll be interesting to see how this one is. I had originally planned to make my own bezel, even have a pair of extra ones I was going to cut up, but I may be able to use this instead if it seems to be decent.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to see it has become affordable, and seems to get good press regarding stability.
Only remaining concerns are whether the original can be reinstalled after the modification to accomodate a 2DIN.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me know how this goes. I'd have done this a while back but I always blanched at the thought of spending $140 just for the adapter kit. The radio I put in there may not even cost that much.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the kit in today. Not much to it, just the panel and two brackets. Oddly enough the power port storage area is flipped, the power port is on the left side. This shouldn't cause any trouble during installation.

The awesome news is, though, that it appears that the stereo will mount to the internal dash structure and not the front panel bezel! This was the biggest drawback of the $130 one on Amazon, as it left the full weight of the stereo supported by two little friction clips.

This pleases me greatly. Now I just need to figure out how to paint the panel to match the rest of my interior pieces.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Pics of the installation and finished product when you can, please. :D

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the installation and finished product when you can, please. :D

Will do. I need to pick up a few more supplies, then paint the trim piece, so it probably won't be done until Sunday.

Parts wise it looks like the Power Outlet Dual USB Charger Socket I ordered to replace the cigarette lighter is, "delayed because of weather or other natural causes". :(

Hopefully the paint turns out decent...

Edit: Picked up the paint, hope it's the right stuff (or at least close). Also grabbed a Chromecast so I can hook the phone up wirelessly. The whole HDMI/MHL hookup thing the AppRadio uses was total ******** and buggy as hell due to the MHL adapter weirdness, and it would only charge at 900mA when hooked up that way. Which sucked as the phone would use 1300mA, meaning it would discharge. Using the Chromecast will eliminate that entire hookup and let me use a standard 2A charger. Sadly, I can't paint today as it's at 100% humidity, but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 70, so I'll get it done then and install the radio Sunday.

Pictures will be taken!

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got everything gathered up to start painting the trim panel. Hopefully it'll turn out OK... I'm not holding my breath, though. Never done this before!

attachment.php

Anyway, here we see the Kit. This is literately everything that came in the little baggy. We have a new dash panel, two mounting brackets, and the instruction manual. The manual is a wee bit vague as to how the mounting brackets actually mount, but since there are no screw holes or clips in the panel, it appears they bolt into the stock location.

attachment.php

And here we have the new Metra panel next to a stock panel. As you can see, the storage cubby is completely different. I'm not particularly pleased with this, as my phone doesn't fit in it anymore. I'm thinking I may pick up another one at some point, cut off the bottom, and graft a stock cubby onto it. But for now, I just want to get everything installed.

I'm actually wondering if the other kit, which has a very stock-like cubby but mounts the stereo to the panel, would line up with the stereo brackets used in this kit. Anyone who has one want to measure the thickness of the top piece of plastic above the stereo hole?

Attachments

• MetraKit.jpg
    MetraKit.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 348
  • MetraStockComparison.jpg
    MetraStockComparison.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw on the info for the other one that the brackets mounted to the back of the panel.

Yeah, on the $130 one they do. This one appears to attach to the stock in-dash mounting points, not the panel. Although I wonder if you could use these brackets with that panel, as that panel appears to be nicer (has a proper storage cubby).

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Well. I'll never be a professional auto painter, that's for sure. :shrug:

attachment.php

On top of all the orange peel, it's the wrong freaking color! :happy175:

I don't suppose anyone knows what color I should have used?

I'll use this one for now, but eventually I'm going to replace it with one that has a proper cubby and is painted correctly. Perhaps I'll even take it somewhere and let professionals paint it.

On an entertaining note, my neighbor asked me if I was cooking ****, since I was walking around in the garage with one of those surgical mask things on. I'm not sure if he was disappointed to learn the truth, or not...

Attachments

• MetraPainted.jpg
    MetraPainted.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 301

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks okay to me, though I'd have stuck with black myself. Sell it to a girl - they like shiny stuff! :happy175:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's in! Sort of. I still need to pick up an HDMI extension cable so that I can connect the Chromecast, and I need to figure out how to make my blue-tooth OBDII reader be linked to the ignition switch. But, at the very least, the stereo is installed and the Bluetooth works.

Total elapsed time of installation, not including painting the thing, 7 hours. There is an awful lot of cutting that had to be done, I kept trying to do the minimal amount until it became apparent that everything needed to go. I'm not really sure what people normally use for this, but my Dremel had fits with the plastic, it's super thick! At one point I went at it with a sawzall and a set of large pruning shears.

Anyway, I'm sure you all want some pictures of the install.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here we have the Metra kit, in all it's 3-pieces... plus vaguely worded instruction manual.

A nice comparison shot of the kit's panel and the stock panel. Note the storage cubby is flipped and smaller than the original? It also lacks a screw hole here, so the entire bezel only clips into place using the stock clips. Not a huge fan of that, may purchase another one and graft my stock cubby onto it. I mean, my sunglasses don't even fit anymore!

Thankfully I don't paint things for a living. It's serviceable and doesn't look horrible in the Jeep.

Check this out! Test fitting the AppRadio3... notice anything? Yep! Unlike the other double-DIN kit out there where the stereo mounts to the front panel, the Metra kit bolts into the stock location using stock screws!

Still have to cut the everloving hell out of it, though. I probably could have saved some of the plastic cross member here, but the radio was actually so long that it was hitting on the hazard/blinker switch harness which ran right up the middle. So it all came out.

Yep. ALL of it. The supports are still plenty strong, and the only real draw back here is that the rear support for the hazard switch/relay is gone. The screw seems to do a good job of holding it in place, though, and I think it actually sits on the top of the radio as it feels pretty solid with it in there.

OH SNAP :gr_grin:

Fits in there pretty good, doesn't it? The radio is slid all the way forward on the screw holes I used.

The faceplate doesn't hit on the bezel! Huzzah! My previous truck, where this radio was installed, I couldn't access the DVD slot because it hit on the bezel. :thumbsdown:

Time to celebrate a job adequately done with a tasty beverage! :party52:

Overall, it was an easy install, once I ripped all that plastic out. I also put in an Axxess ASWC-1, which was absolute cake to setup. Literally four wire install, ground, switched power, PCI bus, and then plugged into the stereo's wired-remote plug. During startup I just held the volume up button on the steering wheel until the LED stopped flashing, and viola, my steering wheel controls work on the new stereo.

Sound quality on the Infinity system is greatly improved. I've got midrange and lows now! Wonder how long the stock speakers are going to last... :happy175:

Was the kit worth it? Well, the other kit out there costs >$100 and the radio attaches to the bezel, which I'm not sure is a good idea considering the only thing holding it in is some clips and one screw at the very bottom. This kit cost me $32 and, while the bezel lacks the screw hole and the cubby is smaller, the stereo mounts to the stock location. So, yeah, I think it's worth it.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it looks great. You should be very proud of that! :waytogo:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it overall. :)

Edit: Until I realized my rear speakers are blown. Still happy, just not as happy. :)

Last edited:

ermis

Reaction score
I try to do that job, having the same double din KIT. I cut the plastics but it seems that it glued to the back surface. Is it true? How did you remove it after cutting the edges?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to do that job, having the same double din KIT. I cut the plastics but it seems that it glued to the back surface. Is it true? How did you remove it after cutting the edges?

Yeah, it seems to be bonded to the vent ducting back there. I cut it off with a saw.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered one in black and should have it by Monday. $29.95 with free shipping. I almost ordered one months ago for the $130 price figuring it would be just my luck that by the time I got the money for the stereo they would quit making them. I'm obviously glad I waited. :)

Members online

No members online now.