METRA double-din KJ kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the rubber non-skid tray thing with my Metra. Did yours come painted silver in the first pic you posted? I have some of the good carbon fiber vinyl wrap laying around that I'll probably use for all the silver trim. Most of mine has seen better days and I want something less permanent than SEM or colorbond.

TwoBobs, I've started working on the pid's for you, and I figured I might as well make a good Kj style dashboard. I can also have most of the kj parameters pre-entered and pretty much setup. I can modify apk's for Android, and just install it as normal(if you're already running the app, install new without uninstalling the original aka dirty flash). I've tried to get ahold of the guy that made the 42rle Trans. Monitor program to see if I can get permission to borrow from it. I'll post some pics of my Torque in a few

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the rubber non-skid tray thing with my Metra. Did yours come painted silver in the first pic you posted? I have some of the good carbon fiber vinyl wrap laying around that I'll probably use for all the silver trim. Most of mine has seen better days and I want something less permanent than SEM or colorbond.

No, I painted both of them... badly. :gr_grin:

Biggest benefit to the new piece is that it attaches with a screw at the bottom, so it's more securely in place, as well as the cubby is now wide enough for my cell phone.

TwoBobs, I've started working on the pid's for you, and I figured I might as well make a good Kj style dashboard. I can also have most of the kj parameters pre-entered and pretty much setup. I can modify apk's for Android, and just install it as normal(if you're already running the app, install new without uninstalling the original aka dirty flash). I've tried to get ahold of the guy that made the 42rle Trans. Monitor program to see if I can get permission to borrow from it. I'll post some pics of my Torque in a few

You have my interest as well.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You have my interest as well.

Awesome - thank you very much!

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That trans monitor program doesn't use PIDs.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's still going to be a type of pid. PID = Paramter ID code, so damn near anythjng falls into that category. People hear PID and think of standard mode 01-0a HEX or Decimal like the apps use . It'd take 3 days to explain it so I'll just post some links that break it down and tell you what everything means.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...es-torque-pro/#/forumsite/20582/topics/230795
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93317&showall=1

georose3

Reaction score
I just did this yesterday. The Metra kit opening does not allow a Pioneer AVH-2700 to fit through the double din opening. Very aggravating. I had to sink the radio in a bit just to make everything usable while I figure it out.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this yesterday. The Metra kit opening does not allow a Pioneer AVH-2700 to fit through the double din opening. Very aggravating. I had to sink the radio in a bit just to make everything usable while I figure it out.
My alpine double din, and my x4700 fit fine. Were you trying to mount the HU to the actual trim/adapter? They are supposed to set a little recessed in the dash
You must be registered for see images

My Pioneer has better fitment with the trim bezel than my old Alpine, but still wasn't horrible. Here's the Alpine dd.

You must be registered for see images attach

Post a pic of yours and I'll see if I have any ideas on how to get a better fit. I've done a lot of double din installs at my shop, and 99% of them require a little adjusting to get just right.

georose3

Reaction score
I see yours. I must have some sort of defect or something. the unit won't even get close. There is probably an 1/8 inch size difference.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a comparison...

The first one is the stock METRA kit's faceplate.

This is the faceplate from the other kit, ignoring it's crappy paintjob. Note that I was wrong, it's not a pure drop-in replacement, I need to pull it and lower the 'rear' of the stereo down some so that it sits right in the faceplate. Right now I can't open it to put in a CD, which I discovered by somewhere in the middle of Tennessee where the only radio stations I could get were gospel stations. :blah:

It's hard to tell, but the new faceplate is using the rubber anti-skid mat from the stock faceplate. I've also replaced the power port with two 3 amp USB ports.

wow you guys got cubbies and such i just have 2 power outlets and an ash tray lol

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my flush mount in the cubby stock cubby hole, but decided to move it when I did the double din.

Nullptr, what letter is stamped near the screw holes in the hu where you have the dash ends mounted?

Off the top of my head I can't say. I may be able to check Friday though, since I should have some free time to take it back apart.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The different holes change the adjustment of how it sits in the dash. I've attached the adapters to the hu in the wrong place plenty of times when doing customer's vehicles. Even professionals mess up every now and the lol

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The different holes change the adjustment of how it sits in the dash. I've attached the adapters to the hu in the wrong place plenty of times when doing customer's vehicles. Even professionals mess up every now and the lol

Yep, done that before!

I need to actually adjust mine, it's too low at the bottom and I can't open the face plate to get at the CD player. Not that I ever used it, but still, it should sit in there correctly. :shrug: