Messed up changing spark plugs...pictures and video inside. Advice wanted..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepisland

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was changing my spark plugs on my 06 liberty 3.7

I put loosener spray on the bolts holding the injector in, when I went to loosen the bolt, the head snapped right off. leaving no clearance for me to put anything to hold the injector in, in my inexperienced mind I thought...well what if I just tighten the lower part of this bolt to give me a tiny bit more clearance? well... I slowly tightened it and I over did it, and that bolt broke free, freely spinning.

Could this be drilled out? Will I have to take the whole engine cover off? (is that what this bolt is in?)

I am posting a link here for a short video that will help I guess aswell. video of it moving freely <-- click that

to whoever helps and gives some advice here I appreciate it a lot. I am bringing it into a mechanic near me tomorrow morning for some advice but figured this would be a good spot too.

Attachments

• 20210707_195501.jpg
    20210707_195501.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210707_195531.jpg
    20210707_195531.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 60

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First that is not an injector, that is your coil, you have one above each spark plug
and while we are on the subject be sure to use the right NGK copper spark plugs
the number is written on the core support above the radiator
The bolt should back right out

jeepisland

Reaction score
First that is not an injector, that is your coil, you have one above each spark plug
and while we are on the subject be sure to use the right NGK copper spark plugs
the number is written on the core support above the radiator
The bolt should back right out

Appreciate the reply! thank you, I was calling my coils, fuel injectors for a little while now. noted

I ordered NGK copper 6987 after doing a little research on them through here.

so that bolt that is loose, I can put something on the other end of it and back it out? it just turns and I feel like I couldn't get anything on the other end of it if there is one.

Alot of newbie questions for sure.

If I took that bolt out that's freely moving, i'd have to get another one as it's also shortened now. Could I bring that to a shop and just get them to make one same size a bit longer?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully the shop can replace the correct length threaded stud.
To avoid this from happening again, use deep creep and let it sit in overnight, before trying to remove the nut.
I use a tiny bit of copperslip anti-seize inside on the nut.

jeepisland

Reaction score
Hopefully the shop can replace the correct length threaded stud.
To avoid this from happening again, use deep creep and let it sit in overnight, before trying to remove the nut.
I use a tiny bit of copperslip anti-seize inside on the nut.

Shop couldn't make it today. Unfortunate

Thank you for the tips I will be buying both of those and doing that from now on.

not to worried driving it yet. i've hit some bumps and it hasn't moved from what I can tell. it's probably moving side to side but didn't come out yet.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got thin wrench out of the bike tool box I slip under the coil onto that stud if it tries to turn. Tou have to go a little Gumby to do it sometimes, but never fails.

jeepisland

Reaction score
I've got thin wrench out of the bike tool box I slip under the coil onto that stud if it tries to turn. Tou have to go a little Gumby to do it sometimes, but never fails.

thanks i'll try this, you've took that exact stud/bolt out before eh? all the way?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't take it out, but it tried to come out once when I was changing sparky's, so grabbed my little wrench and stopped it,, then snugged it up after removing coil

jeepisland

Reaction score
thanks man, if that's the case I think i'll read into how I can jerry rig it tight and put something over the bolt to make it semi snug.

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
The top nut holds your coil on, the stud underneath is your plastic intake manifold bolt. You should be able to remove the whole bolt. They are easy to find in a local junkyard, as there a lot of 3.7/4.7's out there. If you can't find any, email me and I can send you a couple!

jeepisland

Reaction score
The top nut holds your coil on, the stud underneath is your plastic intake manifold bolt. You should be able to remove the whole bolt. They are easy to find in a local junkyard, as there a lot of 3.7/4.7's out there. If you can't find any, email me and I can send you a couple!
Thanks alot for this...

I ended up finding some, fixed the issue and changed the rest of the plugs.

I learned alot from this..i'll always spraying bolts & tighten a tiny bit before I loosen

Latest posts

Members online