Mechanic put my Liberty in 4 Hi with no front drive shaft now light won't go out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSA

Reaction score
Hi,

Like so many others I needed a new front drive shaft for a 2005 Liberty Sport 3.7L. Dealer wanted $630 for the part. This isn't my question but rebuilt is about $400 here. Found a salvage yard that replaces the bad ends for $200. Was waiting to get part when I had to take the Liberty back to shop that replaced all brake rotors and pads because of a loud squeal.

The mechanic, who did not know the bad front drive shaft was off the vehicle, put it up on the lift and engaged the four wheel drive. Now the Part Time light won't go off when it is in 2 Hi. It goes out only when the shifter is in 4 Hi. Exactly opposite of what it is supposed to do.

Anyone know what happened and how to fix it? Could engaging the 4-wheel drive with no front drive shaft cause damage? I'm not seeing in my mind how it could when it is just a missing shaft between the transfer case and the differential unless the gears or clutches are designed to work with some sort of resistance that wasn't there.

Any insight will help. Oh, I'm guessing this mechanic wanted to put power to the front wheels and hit the brakes to see if he could hear the squeal. Other than that, I have no idea why he did it. It was obviously a brake noise and not drivetrain noise.

One more thing, anyone know if it is okay to drive? It is not in 4 Hi no matter what the light says.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's OK to drive. You might need to replace the switch as stated above...but just put the car in 2HI and disconnect/reconnect the battery. This should reset everything. If you have a bad sensor, this won't fix it.

Latest posts

Members online