Mark's Jeep Journal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question about towing and differential fluid for y'all: I just purchased a home, and I'm looking to rent a small U-Haul trailer to move all my stuff from my apartment to my house. The house is only about 20 miles away from my apartment, so I wouldn't be towing for a long distance, and my Jeep has the tow package. Now, I recently changed the rear differential fluid with 80w-90, and it's to my understanding that you need 75w-140 in order to tow. Is this correct? Would I damage my rear differential if I towed with the 80w-90 fluid in the differential? Also, I occasionally some light off-roading, so is 75w-140 required for that too? I also never tow anything in my Jeep, so would changing the differential fluid to 75w-140 cause damage or extra wear and tear if I'm not off-roading or towing often?
Only towing 20 miles or so you should be fine
OD off and go
I run 80-140 in all of mine but I have 3 different trailers I tow alot , have towed over 1200 miles one way for example so I need it
But you don't really
same " light duty off roading " What most call light duty is just gravel , and /or less maintained roads, not rock crawling etc so again you will be fine

Rasfetch

Reaction score
So the Jeep was in a car accident 2 weeks ago, and I've been fighting with the insurance company about it. They want to fix it, but they won't give me a rental car. The body shop can't get it in until July 18th either. The rear suspension is damaged, the body is leaning to left, and the alignment is toast. The back left wheel makes weird noises while rotating, and the AC went out due to the accident. Not only that, but I get some pretty violent shaking in the steering wheel when accelerating and braking at highway speeds. The back left tire is also starting to go bald already due to the vehicle alignment being off, but the adjuster thinks its safe to drive.

Attachments

• IMG-8278.jpg
    IMG-8278.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-8244.jpg
    IMG-8244.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 7

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I heard from insurance, and they're going to total the Liberty :( which is sad because last fall I just put a new lift kit on it, new tires, new battery, and new lower control arms. I'm tempted to buy another liberty before they take the totaled one and swap out some of these parts.