Manual Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kingx889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this since I bought my jeep...I know there was a thread on lost about this but it was a dead end, Any one do this? I know for starters you would need to swap the 242 for a 231 tcase ( I never use full time any way ) interior console from a manual gas kj and pedals but what transmission would work? Im sure GDE can take care of the computer issues can some one point me in the right direction for this?

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6spd is weaker than the auto and mainly why the 2.5 got it and not the 2.8 A lot of work for going down in durability.

4x4kingx889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will ask sir sam and also I know its a little weaker but it's not like Im going to be slamming gears on a drag strip or nothing

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the tq from the 2.8 is what causes it to fail. You best bet is to buy a wrecked one and have it shipped over and scavange the parts from it.

4x4kingx889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to buy a jeep from over seas just for parts if that's the case I just would of had a factory manual one shipped over...

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why they were all built in Toledo? I wanted a manual as well but once I found out how poor the manual was, I gave up on it. I lived overseas and it would have been easy to swap one out.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like autos I enjoy the manuals
Then buy a manual trans vehicle as it will not be worth it to try and make the swap.

The 6 speed that is offered behind the 2.8 CRD is only rated at 272lbs-ft of input torque,you would have to have the engine detuned to make less power or plan on replacing exploded trans often.

4x4kingx889

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they maid a manual midsize diesel suv in the US I would...I talked to a guy that work's in a transmission shop and I told him what I want to do and he said the NSG370 would hold up as long as you don't do any heavy towing ( the only thing I tow is a quad trailer ) it will be fine...Also found a few wrecked gas kj's Will try to get all the parts off one shipped to me and all ill need is the fly wheel and clutch and should be good to go