Manual Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never come across this before: the KJ can drive itself...

I get it moving, put it in say 3rd gear, get it to about 20mph, say 1000rpm, take my feet off the clutch and accelerator: the car slows down slightly, then picks up speed until it rolls on its own power. This works with all the gears from 2-5 (haven't tried 6th, nor 1st - not much point). Is this something for offroad (I'm in 2HI for this, not tried in other ranges), or specifically because of diesel or what? Anyone know?

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive in 1st gear it's considered "The Jeep Crawl." I do it in 1st all the time in slow traffic. I hate the people that keep on someones bumper the entire time druing traffic so i just left the car ahead of me get about a car space ahead of me and when they start to move again I crawl my way to them, keeps me from having to shift up only to have to hit the breaks and keeps the lane moving. I'd rather be creeping than sitting. try it on a small uphill the car will pull itself if you let off the accelerator slowly so it can catch itself and keep from stalling. My Wranger could do it too.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally don't drive the pavement in 4-lo... I'm not interested in going monster truck on the cars in traffic just to get where I'm going.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, love the monstertruck idea - should try it! \:D/

Oh, ok - it's fun in 5th, you get to go about 30 or so - pretty good stuff!

I've been afraid to try it 8-[ but in 4LO can the car stall at all? Can you brake the car to a standstill without declutching without stalling or is that a stupid idea? I remember using a classic land rover S3 in low range 4wd, and how it rolled along merrily.

Anyone else Jeep Crawl?
Thanks!

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When offroad, my 2.5 CRD manual pulls along at 3mph in 1st, 4lo with no throttle. I've never tried to stall it, but it will! You can start up the Jeep in 1st or reverse in 4lo with no clutch and your Jeep will set off quite happily.

In 2hi, I use it in 3rd with no throttle over severe speed humps.

Your Jeep will accelarate from 1st to 5th (mines a 5 speed 'box) with no throttle in 4lo, 4hi and 2hi if it's diesel.

Happy Jeeping \:D/

Ian

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
I've been afraid to try it 8-[ but in 4LO can the car stall at all? Can you brake the car to a standstill without declutching without stalling or is that a stupid idea?

It's not a bad idea at all, and in fact, it's a great way to wheel offroad. When you're in 1st gear of 4-lo, the engine is actually causing you to go slower than a natural rolling speed. So when you put the clutch in, the jeep SPEEDS UP. It's backwards from what a clutch normally does in 2wd. So if you want to slow down and you're in 4-lo, just use the brake and no clutch. You will eventually stall, but that's when you're already going almost zero. Stalling isn't that bad for it. You can just crank it right up again without even touching the clutch and it'll start rolling again.

I love my 6 speed!

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
ENBr said:
I've been afraid to try it 8-[ but in 4LO can the car stall at all? Can you brake the car to a standstill without declutching without stalling or is that a stupid idea?

It's not a bad idea at all, and in fact, it's a great way to wheel offroad. When you're in 1st gear of 4-lo, the engine is actually causing you to go slower than a natural rolling speed. So when you put the clutch in, the jeep SPEEDS UP. It's backwards from what a clutch normally does in 2wd. So if you want to slow down and you're in 4-lo, just use the brake and no clutch. You will eventually stall, but that's when you're already going almost zero. Stalling isn't that bad for it. You can just crank it right up again without even touching the clutch and it'll start rolling again.

I love my 6 speed!

But surely that's normal whether you're in 4LO, 4HI, or 2HI? If you're running downhill say in 3rd the engine braking will limit you (always do that to stop me speeding), and when you declutch the engine braking can't function as the engine is disconnected from the driveshaft...

I hate stalling, makes me feel lousy.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
But surely that's normal whether you're in 4LO, 4HI, or 2HI? If you're running downhill say in 3rd the engine braking will limit you (always do that to stop me speeding), and when you declutch the engine braking can't function as the engine is disconnected from the driveshaft...

You're right, going downhill engine braking, in either case putting the clutch in will make you go faster, since the engine was holding you back.

But try it out on flat ground at various speeds, you'll be surprised. When you expect putting the clutch in will slow you down, it actually ends up speeding you up becase 4-low is just THAT slow compared to the speed the jeep just wants to keep rolling forwards. It takes some getting used to.

Don't feel badly about stalling. You really won't stall unless you do it on purpose. You have to REALLY lay on the brakes to make it stall out in 4-lo.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
You're right, going downhill engine braking, in either case putting the clutch in will make you go faster, since the engine was holding you back.

But try it out on flat ground at various speeds, you'll be surprised. When you expect putting the clutch in will slow you down, it actually ends up speeding you up becase 4-low is just THAT slow compared to the speed the jeep just wants to keep rolling forwards. It takes some getting used to.

Don't feel badly about stalling. You really won't stall unless you do it on purpose. You have to REALLY lay on the brakes to make it stall out in 4-lo.

Oh, I see - I really must try that! Btw I've tried stalling - pretty ********, it stalls at the last minute and pretty easy to save... Cool! Thanks for your answers!

Members online

No members online now.