Making use of the Roof-light dash light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving home tonight and for some reason I couldnt tell if my hellas were on when a car would come. I guess I got use to the extra light then it just seems normal.

Anyway, as I was driving around in the middle of no where, I remembered a thread about someone that wired their driving lights so that the light on the dash that comes on with the stock roof lights, would come on with their aftermarket driving lights. Anyone know where this thread would be? It could be on the lost forum also. idk..

Thanks.. O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know what you're saying but haven't the slightest clue about wiring.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I was driving home tonight and for some reason I couldnt tell if my hellas were on when a car would come. I guess I got use to the extra light then it just seems normal.

Anyway, as I was driving around in the middle of no where, I remembered a thread about someone that wired their driving lights so that the light on the dash that comes on with the stock roof lights, would come on with their aftermarket driving lights. Anyone know where this thread would be? It could be on the lost forum also. idk..

Your hella's come on by themselves then? I was thinking about doing that...Mine only come on with my brights.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

You don't have a lighted switch?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:

You don't have a lighted switch?

That would be another solution, just replace the switch with one that has an LED in it...you can get those anywhere.

I was looking in the manual for a fuse location on the light bar, and couldn't find one. I was thinking that if you could either wire in to that, or run your circuit just through it to run a current through it that might be enough to control the dash light, depending on how they have that set up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Roof Light fuse is a 30A fuse UNDER THE HOOD.
The switch fuse is a 10A fuse in the interior fuse panel, and I can tell you from experience.. that doesn't work as it also controls other things.

Do what I do, just leave everything on. lol3.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, I wired mine to my park lights. That way the park lights must be on to use them. I was afraid that I would hit the switch and not know it. With the covers on, I would not be able to tell them were on.

My switch does light up, but I have it wedged down into that slot under the steering wheel. I didnt want to drill a hole in the piece of trim thats beside the steering wheel, but it would still be awesome to use that light. \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
yup, I wired mine to my park lights. That way the park lights must be on to use them. I was afraid that I would hit the switch and not know it. With the covers on, I would not be able to tell them were on.

My switch does light up, but I have it wedged down into that slot under the steering wheel. I didnt want to drill a hole in the piece of trim thats beside the steering wheel, but it would still be awesome to use that light. \:D/
I didn't drill a hole... just ran the wiring inside the panels. You can see just a little bit of the wiring, and adhesive holds it on.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired my Renegade light bar so that the orange dash light comes on with the switch... Its a relatively easy install (the hardest part is getting the the wire harness you have to tap into) When I get back home (on vacation right now) I can try and walk you through the installation process! It took me a while to figure out all the necessary wiring schematics and several trips to my friendly jeep dealer!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership did it for me when installing the light bar. They have the silly orange LED on the inside of the Instrument cluster. I was thinking of also using that lead to feed from when I put my Hellas up front (doh!! I have to buy them first).