lower ball joints ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking into replacing my lower ball joints on my 07 KJ. Couple questions for the KJ brain trust. . . . . .

I am planning buying a ball joint press from harbor freight. Does anybody know if the bushings/spacers included with the basic kit will be the correct size ?? Or will I need to purchase the additional bushing kit ??
In lieu of that, can anybody tell me what size ID & OD the correct bushing is ??

I have access to a lathe & milling machine and could always make my own instead of buying the extra kit.

Thank you, in advance for any & all input.

Art

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total POS. Pay the deposit where you buy the ball joints and borrow a decent one. If you are planning to buy online, suck it up and spend another dollar locally .

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To elaborate, the Harbor Freight unit is a knock off of OTC's very well built press. But like most HF items, quality leaves a lot to be desired. One can get away with using low quality combination wrenches, sockets and ratchets if used only occasionally. Problem with the ball joint press in question is that the very best available is just barely good enough to withstand the stresses of normal use. Low quality materials used combined with sloppy tolerances mean the low quality import press probably won't make it through a single use.

World's greatest BJ press; https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Joint...nt-Universal-Joint-Press-22-pcs--P644058.aspx

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
HF stuff is junk. I have broken their hand tools and I am no gorilla. Their impact sockets seem ok but their regular ones break. 1/2 inch and 3/8 drive I have cracked a few. Broke one of their socket extentions that just snapped off where the extention goes into the socket........wtf. Their screwdrivers bend like the nile river. I do have one of their big trolly jacks that I am careful with. (I have several and use more than one at a time sometimes).

For a one time ball joint job I would rent one or just have someone else do it. If you are going to do a lot of ball joints get a good quality set.

Just some thoughts and my opinion.

Dave

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bob 100%. Quality tools will last you a lifetime, if you plan on just having it as a single use, rent it. Snap-On's impact guns are the only kind I'll use for daily use also, only others I would recommend are the IR impacts though.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bob 100%. Quality tools will last you a lifetime, if you plan on just having it as a single use, rent it. Snap-On's impact guns are the only kind I'll use for daily use also, only others I would recommend are the IR impacts though.

An old timers advise on SnapOn impacts. I have three ( one's actually Bluepoint, but,,,) CANNOT be repaired because they're obsolete. No such thing with Ingersol Rand. The oldest one you can drag out of a pawnshop , there's still a kit for it. The new composite ones are superb.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An old timers advise on SnapOn impacts. I have three ( one's actually Bluepoint, but,,,) CANNOT be repaired because they're obsolete. No such thing with Ingersol Rand. The oldest one you can drag out of a pawnshop , there's still a kit for it. The new composite ones are superb.

Bob

Some days those Snap-On impacts were the only thing between breaking things loose and insanity we had.......... :blah: