Lower ball joint SNAPPED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinlibbies

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was pulling out of my driveway(1000 ft long) and the left-hand lower ball joint snapped. Thank GOD I wasn't cruising down the expressway when it happened. I had it towed to the dealer for repair. It wasn't the dealer I bought it from though. I have 2 2003 liberty's. The dealer I bought them from told me that the recall had been performed on both of them. The dealer I took it to for repair said neither one of them has been done. Make sure when you ask, get documentation!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that a dealer could not sell a vehicle that has not had it's recalls completed. I think I read that somewhere on here. :-k

2003KJ

Reaction score
twinlibbies said:
They can't sell a NEW vehicle, but they can sell a USED vehicle.

I'm pretty sure they can't sell ANY vehicle with outstanding recalls.

Glad you're alright though. And even if you had been under the recall before and had it done, the 2nd recall effects those that were recalled the first time....which really says alot about their previous method of trying to solve this problem.

twinlibbies

Reaction score
Here's what the NHTSA has to say about it:

"With respect to motor vehicle recalls, manufacturers should encourage their franchise dealers to ensure that the manufacturer's used vehicles have all applicable recall work completed before resale to the public."

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking that they couldn't sell ANY vehicle with outstanding recalls. But, I did some digging and they just can't sell any NEW vehicles with outstanding recalls. One more thing to remember and worry about when buying a used vehicle. #-o

NHTSA PDF:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/static/recompendium.pdf

Couple of excerpts from the above PDF:
Remedy Development...
For motor vehicles: a vehicle manufacturer must provide the parts and instructions necessary to remedy new vehicles in dealer or distributor inventory as soon as possible. Once notified that a new vehicle in the dealer's possession contains a safety-related defect or noncompliance, a dealer cannot sell the vehicle until the defect or noncompliance is remedied. [49 U.S.C. § 30116 and 30120]

Recalled Vehicles and Equipment in Inventory [49 U.S.C. § 30116]
It is important that manufacturers notify distributors, dealers, retailers, and other purchasers of the recall as soon as possible to ensure that the product is not sold prior to remedy. The manufacturer or distributor is obliged to offer to repurchase any item of motor vehicle equipment in the inventory of the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or retailer which contains a safety defect or noncompliance prior to sale to the public. The sale of any motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment which fails to conform to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards is prohibited. A dealer is prohibited from selling to the public any new motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment which might contain a safety-related defect, until the defect is remedied. There is a civil penalty of up to $5,000 per violation, not to exceed $15,000,000, for any related series of violations that can be imposed. [49 U.S.C. § 30112, 30120, and 30165 and Part 578]

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it depends, maybe the first recall was done on your liberty, that could be why the dealer said they where done when you bought them, but now there is the newer recall that came out in September which you obviously hadn't done. So who knows maybe the dealer where you bought the liberty was telling you the truth, and maybe the place you took your jeep to get fixed just worded it like the first one was never done also. Then again I am just speculating.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my BJ recall done, the guy said that since recalls never go away, if I ever have a problem and think its the BJs, they will replace them for free even though the recall has already been performed. I'm really not sure about this, doesnt sound right to me...but thats what the "certified technitian" told me! \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jerbacher said:
When I got my BJ recall done, the guy said that since recalls never go away, if I ever have a problem and think its the BJs, they will replace them for free even though the recall has already been performed. I'm really not sure about this, doesnt sound right to me...but thats what the "certified technitian" told me! \:D/

Yup, thats true. They must fix them again of they ever fail or start to go bad. \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's amazing that they didn't repair it? I hear warranty work is not at full price, but still, it's paid work. I would think a dealership would get the recalls fixed (unless it was not a DCC dealership)?

Anyway, I finally got the recall notice in the mail this week. Jeep must be spacing them out.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Anyway, I finally got the recall notice in the mail this week. Jeep must be spacing them out.
I just got my notice this past week too, but I already had the work done months ago.

Latest posts

Members online